I Forge Iron

Induction heater coils

Well I finally got around to joining the induction club.  I need to make some smaller and larger coils than came with the machine which is about 1.5" id   I bought 1/4" and 3/16 copper but it looks like I should have got 5/16 instead of the 1/4"  That being said has anyone tried quick connect fittings like these on their induction unit ?http://www.wattscanada.ca/pages/whatsnew/qc_fittings.asp  They look like they would  work well both as quicker to change not needing to flare the pipe and not needing extra nuts for every coil.

I think Grant Sarver talked a little about this in one of his posts on induction heaters. I've seen some where the coil tubes go into copper block connectors that are held together by some sort of insulator, these get pressed against similar block on the unit with a screw clamp. I beleive this is the arrangement on some of his induction units you can see in his videos on YouTube.

I recently missed out on an auction for an induction unit that had one of these quick connectors on it. I will PM you the link for the completed auction so you can take a look at the pictures. I do not think I can post it here per IFI rules.

Thanks Will.  That  looks like a good quick change setup but more involved to make new coils rather than simpler.  I am going to stop today to see if I can pick up fittings to adapt the metric to 1/4" flare. 

I've found it easy to get the flare nuts front a/c supply places , then buy two bags full(20_24) and Tada happy camper fill your copper tube with water, stick it in the freezer overnight and make coil. Flaring tools should be cheap from HF and/or motor spares shops.

Regards Ian

You're looking at 800 amps probably (the LH-15a does 800 amps). Get the 8mm flare fittings.

Your water cooler is probably already lower than your induction heater, but just in case: if your cooler isn't lower than your induction heater, coil change will be a wet mess.

P.S. I would expect that any quick release fittings would basically weld themselves together!