I Forge Iron

Simple camp chopper

Stormcrow

This was intended to be part of my Blade Show inventory, but a fellow spotted it on Instagram before it was finished and wanted it, and I needed the money to stay ahead of bills, so I finished it out and headed it his way.

Here's what caught his attention.  Still with oil baked on from the heat treatment, with a loose paracord wrap temporarily on it to protect my hand from the rough edges of the tang while doing a bit of test cutting.  Steel is 80CrV2, blade is a bit under 12" long.

billschopper04_zps0dx37jxc.jpg

He liked the look of the temporary wrap, so I laid a foundation of neoprene to bulk up the handle and did a single layer of paracord with a two-strand Turk's head knot before applying the marine epoxy.  The end of the wrap leaving the corners of the tang exposed is something I haven't tried before, but definitely will be doing again!  I did keep it (and myself) away from the poison ivy on the edge of the photo.

billschopper01_zpsrr9kf18j.jpg

And a basic OD Kydex sheath to round out the package.

billschopper03_zpsccchvqvg.jpg

It got to him a day ahead of when it was slated to.  He was very happy with the heft, balance, and handling.  :)

Now to forge some more along these lines for Blade...

Really nice, I alwais wandered how does it work with Kydex sheath when the tip of the blade is larger than the base. Does it just spread the top of the sheet until it reach the right spot? Does it mean that the whole sheath spread open when pulling the blade out ?

Thank y'all!

Takeru691 - It certainly does make building a sheath (of any construction) more complicated to have the blade wider near the tip than at the base.  I believe on this one that the spine pretty much just follows the mold of the Kydex while the primary bevel forces open the Kydex on the edge side, so the secondary bevel (the actual cutting edge) is not in contact with the Kydex.

32 minutes ago, Stormcrow said:

Thank y'all!

Takeru691 - It certainly does make building a sheath (of any construction) more complicated to have the blade wider near the tip than at the base.  I believe on this one that the spine pretty much just follows the mold of the Kydex while the primary bevel forces open the Kydex on the edge side, so the secondary bevel (the actual cutting edge) is not in contact with the Kydex.

Thanks for the answer.