I Forge Iron

New member, your thoughts a gas forge

Pt iron poet

Hello
I'm a new member and somewhat new to blacksmithing, I'm getting back into it after many years.
I've been looking at a GAS FORGE on e-bay by HM IRONWORKS Item number: 200188963199 and would like to know your thoughts about the manufacturer, quality of construction, price, etc. and any other thoughts to consider for a gas forge purchase. The price draws my attention to it.
Thanks, Terry

Nice meeting you Terry!

Gas forges are fairly easy to make your self, and there are many plans in this sites blueprint sections.. not to mention, making your own is a money saver, and can accomodate for any shape of metal you wish to hammer on..

Its nice being able to modify your setup quickly and easily.
have fun!

heres one I just make the burner for a day ago, works like a charm!
I Forge Iron - Blacksmithing and Metalworking - BP0535 One Burner Gas Forge

I plan on purchasing a ready made propane forge soon, myself. I have looked at countless designs, and will more than likely go with the one made by Diamondback Ironworks. The refractory he uses in his is superior to the bricks used by others. He seems to have more variations on design, and price range, than other sellers, also.

By the way, he's also a member here on IFI, so support issues may be more easily addressed with him versus the other guys. He also posts his phone number on each of his listings on eBay. Seems like he is pretty sincere in his honesty, IMO.

His handle here is Looper567, same as eBay, I think. He posts from time to time here.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys, Matt mentioned to me that there was a post over on this forum that mentioned us, so I thought I'd drop in to say hello.

My shop is located near downtown Knoxville. We're in the same building as the ABANA main office, we're down in the basement and they're right above us. Preston Farabow's shop is also right upstairs (Aespyre - A Design Haus) ...lot's of blacksmithing related stuff going on in this building!

If I can help with anything forge related, or if anyone is ever passing through Knoxville and wants to stop by for a visit, just give me a shout.

:)

-Darren

Darren
I hope to be at the next meeting also. I'm working on a home made gas forge and will either be getting a burner kit from you or an assembled one.
Look forward to meeting you, and maybe get those before the next meeting?
Terry

Hi Terry,

Shoot me an email with your address, and if you'd like, I'll send you a burner to play around with until the next meeting.

:)

-Darren

• 1 year later...

hi there! just joined and thought i would say hello and thanks for the great site.

i'm a sculptor/metalsmith that has had an itch to start making knives and utilitarian forms again. it's been a while! am also looking at forges on ebay, but you guys have provided such great blueprints it may be a better place for me to start. thanks, guys.

Welcome aboard Arch, glad to have ya.

Some of us have had some luck building our own forges and others here have models they sell. If you decide to build give a shout out and we'll do what we can to advise and assist. If you decide to buy do the same and we'll all toss in our 2 bits.

If you'll click "User CP" at the top of the page and edit your profile to show your location it can make a big difference. IFI is represented by members from more than 50 countries and a lot of info is location specific. Also if local folk know you're there they can invite you to gatherings, tip you to tool deals and offer hands on help.

Frosty