I Forge Iron

Bladesmithing classes

elkdoc

Hey folks...

I recently won a scholarship from the regional chapter of ABANA. Since my long-term smiting interests are leaning towards knifemaking, I'm seriously thinking about using it to take a bladesmithing course at the John C. Campbell folk school. Check 'em out at: http://www.folkschool.org

In particular, there's a weeklong course called "The American Hand-Forged Blade" tought by Jim Batson in January. I know Batson is a former ABS president, so it should be a spectacular course. Also, he'll be doing a bladesmithing demo at an upcoming knifemaker's hammer-in locally. Should be a great opportunity to meet him and discuss my "fit" in the course before I register.

Anybody know of some other good bladesmithing courses I should consider?

Actually, yes. I'd love to attend the ABS school. However, right now the cost and time frame is probably prohibitive. $700 tuition plus room and board vs. $450 plus room and board. Granted, it is for a 2 week course, but I don't know if I can swing it, money or time-wise.

My scholarship was just $300, but it would knock out the biggest part of tuition at John C. Campbell.

Hmm...

The first class I took at Campbell was Batson's knife class. We forged a knife from a file. I ended up with a pretty good looking knife. Chuck Patrick is usually his assistant. I would love to go back and take it again, now that I know a little more about smithing.

• 2 weeks later...

Room at the ABS school doesn't have to be a hotel, although I think most of my classmates went that route. I think the bunkhouse there in Old Washington is $19 a night. Camping at a nearby state park would be in the $16-19 a night range, probably, with electricity. Less if you do without electricity. Or, I camped on the school grounds for free. One of my classmates did the same a couple nights. But then, I believe the folk school has some on-site arrangements, too.

I have nothing against the folk school; I haven't attended any classes there, but hope to do so. Everyone I know who's been there - mostly for blacksmithing stuff - speaks highly of the experience. But I went to the ABS school last spring, and can really enthusiastically recommend it.

Steve

I may just do 'em both, depending on where my career takes me in the next 9 months. I better get in on the Folk School while I'm close and I have a scholarship that will almost wipe out the tuition.

The ABS school is definately on my to-do list, albeit awhile off...

• 2 weeks later...