I Forge Iron

snap on ya205a carbon arc attachment

ironmutt

the mig i i was given recently is a snapon ya205a  earlyer today i got the manual from snappy  . it explained what one of the little tools on the shelf was .it is a carbon arc rod for heating  sheet metal then throwing a cold wet rag on to make it shrink  while digging on the web  i have found carbon arc gouging   for use with an arc welder looks like a  arc welder clamp with holes to blow air down at arc to blow away the puddle  i am wondering if its posible to  just use a  metal tiped blow gun and strike an arc with one hand and blowit out with the otherhand   my other thought was to  screw in my attatchment  with a peice of heat resistent tubing the mig tip end then run regulated shop air to the mig hose  like what they show on the arcair  handle. the pic is the piece i have it srews in the end like a tip   you pull your wire out of the lineing then turn up voltage touch to surface pull the trigger and then back away alittle to heat up the panel i havent tried yet  so not %100 sure on trying it cause if i am wrong i cant aford to replace the welder   and it does an awsome job as a mig alone 

15003-2.jpg

I only know of arc gouging for stick welder.

Doing it with a mig I would be careful to not overheat your hose/ cable assembly unless its water cooled.

For cutting you need more power then for spot-heating, I do not know the ya205a but I guess its 205A max so it should work, depending on the duty cycle.

If you don´t absolutely have to, look for other options for cutting.

thank you KRS this machine has a ton of funtions compared to the other welders i have used . it works nice . dont want trash it  its got spot and stitch funtions also i might play with i got so i could weld small projects with out blowing the fuses in the house cause most of my 120 outlets only have 15 amp breakers  so when i was given this one i changed the end so can plug it in behind the stove  or the dryer depending where i need to work doesnt blow the breaker that way. just to be safe i had a buddy come over and weld  a bunch while i was in the basement running my hand over the wireing feeling for hot spots all was good 

for what it is worth snapon customer service can mail the pdf for ya205b owners manual for the ya205a deluxe you have to call the minn. teck line for lincoln then they can email the pdf to you i am saying this  cause it seemed when i was looking for the manual lots of forums had the question but no one ever answered if the found it and if anyone wants it on here let me know and i will post the file somehow

I think you are a little off on the concept of carbon arc torches. The carbon rods are consumed at a pretty fast rate, so that stub wouldn't last very long...think of it like an arc welding stick electrode. 

As to heating automotive panels for shrinking. The ones I have seen demoed were kept in contact with the panel , and just slid over the area to be heated up. They were not lifted to create an arc which could blow through the thin sheet metal, or create a rough surface by scarring it up. Lower power is used than arc gouging, and it is the electrical resistance of the steel that heats up the area the electricity is flowing through at the point of contact. You heat the high spots as they are stretched the most on that side, and touch the wet rag to them once they are red. 

These tips can also be used to heat rusted , stuck bolts, etc for removal

thank you BIGGUNDOCTOR that was other part i wasnt  quite getting was it seemed like a weld rod on all the vids but the bit that came with it looked a little weird compared to the set up for a arc welder  honestly after asking on here i might  mess with it to heat some some small scrap just to figure it out but wont go beyond that alot of sites seem to say dont do anything but straight mig welding with this welder cause the boards will go bad faster if you do and the boards are about the 1/4 of the cost of going and buying another welder so its got to last till i can save up for somthing better like  a lincoln 180 duel  or a hobart 210mvp