I Forge Iron

New in central Illinois

boisdarc

Needed to do an intro., so here it is. As the title says, I live in central Illinois. I am fairly new to blacksmithing, an interest in knife making brought me here. I am a citizen, a veteran, a father, a husband, now a grandfather. I have been a correctional officer for about 16 + years. My interests have always circled around martial arts( I have trained in one thing or another off and on for many years), I was a co-owner/operator/instructor of a Mixed Martial Arts school for about 4+ years, and then taught a Y-class for about a year or so. Now that I'm a geezer, I am reduced to teaching kickboxing one day a week for fun. Other interests are fitness, archery, firearms, and motorcycles.  As far as black/blade smithing, I rate myself about maybe a white belt with a stripe, or maybe a yellow belt. I've made a few sharp pointy objects that haven't broken yet, and seem to hold an edge. I do not really hold well to knife metal super-steel theology. Yes I believe starting with a good a steel as you can afford is a great idea, but I also understand a person wanting to get banging steel with what ever is on hand too. I do know that LAWN MOWER BLADES and RAILROAD SPIKES are THE BEST BLADE STEEL EVER. Just kidding, I wish I could watch some of the guys expression when they read that statement(if anybody reads it that is). I am planning to learn more about blacksmithing from Steve Knowles in Decatur some time soon. If anyone is around Springfield or Decatur, please drop me a p.m. I would love to see your shop and techniques. Take care.

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. Mower blades made decent blades, especially machete type brush knives, they're pretty impact resistant and don't work harden too readily. RR spikes, Oooooh you make me giddy sir!

I recommend a person learn blacksmithing before they move into the specialization of bladesmithing and using found steel is a couple more skills sets to become proficient in. Learning all at once is a recipe for testing your tolerance for failure and resolve. Think of it like teaching a new student Kata without teaching him/er the basics: stance, blocks, blows, holds, throws, falls, etc.

Smithing of any kind is addictive as all get out and an endless learning curve. The effort is worth it and it's a glorious fun ride. Enjoy.

Frosty The Lucky.