I Forge Iron

First attempt at a pipe hawk

I made a promise a while back to show off more of my work and I really haven't done anything of any consequence since then, until today.

I've got maybe two hours worth of forging on this and it probably still needs more work on the eye but my hardy hole needs a big brother for my to finish drifting to size.  I see plenty of flaws in this piece but still wanna hear what you guys have to say. I probably will leave this one with the eye the size it is after a little file work to clean it up. As of now the pipe end is about 5/16" and will be drilled out a little bigger.

The body is made up from some piece of scrap I found that had roughly a 1/8" hole down the length of it and super thick walls for any tubing or pipe so I have no idea what it was. The bit is a piece of wrecking bar I welded in just I case I decide to actually try cutting with it.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I would have left the pipe end a bit shorter, but that's just me.

Littleblacksmith

Historically long and skinny was the way to go for a bunch of them. There was several short and fat examples and it might be the way I make my next one.

This one is getting cleaned up just to see how nice it can actually be. I'll make another attempt at a later date and I know of a few things that I'll do differently next time.

I have done some cleanup and yes I do plan on doing something with the bowl. This one will probably never be what I want from one but it's a decent practice piece. I am already looking for a better suited piece of steel for another hopefully better attempt after I use the rest of the piece that this one came from. If I can remember tomorrow, I'll try to get a picture of the other half of the bar I started from. I'll post it here and then I'll also show the next attempt. I also know that I need to make a bottom swage so that I will deform the round shape less than I did on this one.