I Forge Iron

Hello from Oly, WA

I'm just getting started learning metal work. Been a hobbyist woodworker most of my life and thought I'd add metal to the knowledge base. Became interested in melting metal, so I built a propane tank foundry. Then since they were similar, and heating and shaping metal expands the range of experience, I built a propane tank forge - still tweaking the burner on it. Now I'm in the early stages of building a forge press to work the hot metal with. I've been reading all I can about metalworking and blacksmithing. When I get my forge burner tuned and pick up my Gramp's old anvil this weekend, I'll start the real learning. Just wanted to say hello, ask a few questions and express my appreciation for all the info and knowledge everyone here shares. (questions will appear in the forge press area)

Welcome aboard John glad to have you. My Uncle and Aunt lived in Kingston since it was clear cut the first time. . . Well close, first cut would've been my grandparents time. Try not to fall into the all too common trap of building and buying a bunch of tools and equipment before you find out if you're going to need or even want them. Been there, I have a bunch Deb keeps talking about having a yard sale for. Of course a boy can't have too any tools even if he has to buy a forklift to get to them. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

I hear you. But, unfortunately I am addicted to tools. Love tools and I've never found (haven't looked really) a rehabilitation program for this addiction! LOL

Never met a tool I didn't like. And I really like making things, so combine the two - making TOOLS -  and I'm gone 'round the bend!