I Forge Iron

Advice Needed on Hay Budden Anvil

I am new to the forum and would appreciate any advice on this topic. I have been blacksmithing for a couple years and I am thinking about purchasing this anvil, but I can't tell if the waist is tweaked or whether this is a profile that Hay Budden used? I haven't seen any that jut so far forward. My first thought was that something was wrong with it, but after looking at it I wonder if this profile is intentional. It is 250# and is well priced. The serial number is #16254. Any feedback regarding the anvil is greatly appreciated, particularly whether something is wrong with the waist/base. Thanks yall.

20160217_163819.jpg

20160217_165552.jpg

20160217_165700.jpg

20160217_165833.jpg

20160217_165948.jpg

I checked it out and it definitely has had some welding done to it. Looks like mainly at the edges of the face. The rebound is about 75%. At $1.50/lb I just went ahead and bought it. Not sure if that's a good deal with the welding on it, but they don't come up for sale very often in Central Texas. I am planning to clean it up, grind/flatten the welds, and work over the face with very fine wet sandpaper. Is that a good approach or any other thoughts on that? I'm unsure what may or may not do further damage to the face. Any advice is appreciated. Here are a few photos.

IMG_4259.jpg

IMG_4260.jpg

While it is possible to do a proper weld repair on an anvil face; *MOST* are not done right using a proper preheat and slow cool and the right rod(s) and so any weld repair is generally considered suspect.  Those do not look good; but It's an anvil!  Flatten the welds and give a light buzz over the face with an angle grinder with a sanding disk, smooth the edges where they look rough and get to smithing---it'll pay for a better one in little time *and* they seem to act as decoys to lure more in!  Someday a local ABANA affiliate may offer an anvil repair clinic and you might get it gussied up a bit more; but as it stands it's more anvil that most folks had for the first 1000+ years of the iron age.

While it is possible to do a proper weld repair on an anvil face; *MOST* are not done right using a proper preheat and slow cool and the right rod(s) and so any weld repair is generally considered suspect.  Those do not look good; but It's an anvil!  Flatten the welds and give a light buzz over the face with an angle grinder with a sanding disk, smooth the edges where they look rough and get to smithing---it'll pay for a better one in little time *and* they seem to act as decoys to lure more in!  Someday a local ABANA affiliate may offer an anvil repair clinic and you might get it gussied up a bit more; but as it stands it's more anvil that most folks had for the first 1000+ years of the iron age.

this is the first time I beat frosty to this!:D it helps if you put your general location it your profile, you may be surprised by how many smiths are in the area and can help with advice and tools. you never know someone in the area might have an anvil their willing to sell (or even give you)!

Littleblacksmith