I Forge Iron

japanese forging area

hello everyone,

i am attempting to recreate a japanese forging area in the rear of my shoppe. under a small 10'X12' overhang. my question is. does anyone have any pictures or examples of forging areas like this. i'm gongi to be working alone in the area. and i am plannig on this area being job specific for making costum damascus. i can make everything i need. i have a traditional japanese anvil. i'm basically jsut looknig for floor plans and layout designs.
thank you!!

Son

hello everyone,

i am attempting to recreate a japanese forging area in the rear of my shoppe. under a small 10'X12' overhang. my question is. does anyone have any pictures or examples of forging areas like this. i'm gongi to be working alone in the area. and i am plannig on this area being job specific for making costum damascus. i can make everything i need. i have a traditional japanese anvil. i'm basically jsut looknig for floor plans and layout designs.
thank you!!

Son

I saw a show on PBS recently, a NOVA episode about making samurai swords. Most of the sword makers get their stock from traditional forges that make the damascus specifically for samurai swords. The place I saw on NOVA was huge, and they bury the steel underground, more like a giant kiln. There were a bunch of employees and the area was huge. So, not to take the wind out of your sails, but I don't think you can recreate that in a small area.

The sword maker's shop that they featured was a lot smaller.

Click on the "launch interactive" link on this page:

NOVA | Secrets of the Samurai Sword | Making a Masterpiece | PBS

thank you everyone!! i really appreciate it!!! unfortunately i haven't a camera to take pictures with...

high plains. that which are are speaking of is the steel foundry not the actualy smithy. the large furnace it used for making the tamahagane which is a spesific sword making or blade making steel!!

as memory serves (uit's been along time since i was in japan) i belive there was a rectangular channel about 24" deep in which the smiths legs were also the forge was in the channel and the anvil was on the oposite side of the channel...

thanks again

Son

It's the steel *smelter* or bloomery to make tamahagane that is large---a foundry is where you melt something not smelt it. The forge where the tamahagane is worked is not very large.

May I suggest you check and see if the local library can get you a copy of National Geographic's "Living Treasures of Japan" that has a section on forging a sword---including the using of 3 trained strikers during the folding and welding of the billet. The other sections are interesting too.