I Forge Iron

Wrought Iron Norse Carver

Around the holidays I was carving spoons and decided I wanted to forge a new carver. 

This was forged from wrought with 5160 for the bit. I don't like forging wrought, for you can see around the eye it split when I was compressing it. I know I wasn't working it hot enough, but phew! Wrought is some finnicky stuff. I had worked with it once before, but I think it'll be a while before I use it again. Hand carved elm handle. I sized the eye with a tomahawk drift, and though it's a round eye I was still able to wedge it and get a solid hang. Not my prettiest piece, but it's sharp and carves well. I was going to etch the head, but I got impatient and left the temper colors on. I cleaned it up with an air powered grinder/buffer with some 60 grit wheels. I may hand polish it and try to re-etch it without removing the handle. I had tried to etch it... but then I realized I hadn't cleaned off the temper colors and stuff. I was in a hurry the night of finishing, unfortunately.Thanks for looking! I sure did learn a lot on this one. Work wrought hotter, don't get in a hurry. 

20160107_075021.jpg

20160107_075029.jpg

20160107_075038.jpg

20160107_075142.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

that's a beautiful handle-better than any ive seen in any hardware store. like the design of the head. wow, amazing!

Littleblacksmith

• 1 month later...
On 2/13/2016 at 1:22 PM, Forging Carver said:

Nice work! I carve as well and really need to make my self a carving axe. I also need to get around to making a spoon knife. Do you carve any kuksas? If so please send me a few pictures becuase I need ideas for my kuksa.

I don't carve those, nor am I familiar with them. Thanks for the complements though! Wish you best of luck in carving your kuksas!