I Forge Iron

Can i use an anthrasite stove as a type of forge.

Ratman151

I've never seen one of these let alone used one in any capacity, but I'm guessing they work well as a solid fuel stove! If you have no use for it as such, I'm sure someone would be willing to pay good money for it which you could then be use to build a really good gas forge with some input from the experienced on this forum.

Besides, by the time you stump up for a bottle, regulator, hose, burner and refractory to convert that stove, you've almost completed a full ground up build of a "standard" gas forge......only requiring a housing and stand to complete.

I'm a great one for giving things a second life, but only after the first has expired and then it has to be appropriately suited to it's new carrier.

What would I use that for?.....as a stove in the forge for processes requiring more moderate heat, or heat treatments, I have a gas bottle stove for such things as...... charcoal production, low temp metal melts, case hardening soaks and slow annealing, distillation, drying shot blasting medium, reduction, but mainly for just warming the place up and most importantly ...................boiling the kettle!

you can make a propane forge from just the kaowool and a piece of rebar tie wire to tie the roll of refractory so it doesn't unroll.  You could make a propane forge from your car.  Can does not equal should.  A simple forge from a helium party tank can be made in a couple of hours and work quite well.  As an experiment take a 6' bar of steel and mark the midpoint of it and place it in that stove so the midpoint is where the hot zone will be...