I Forge Iron

Champion 400 rebuild complete

RogueRugger

Finished (mostly) the rebuild of my Champion 400. Still have to put together a new handle and paint the legs, but the rest is complete. The additional painting and touchup will have to wait until I finally get moved.  Thanks to the info on various threads here, the rebuild was pretty straightforward.   Pretty happy with how it runs and anxious for enough snow to melt so I can get to my coal forge.  Not to be a milksop, but a temperature above 5F would also be a bit more comfortable.  

IMG_4785.jpg.a63ece9c60ea7d2a8e4299b07f0IMG_4786.jpg.045e56b4e044abde231b29789d2IMG_4787.jpg.ed0760f21eb8b2df1e6ca5d89f0

25 minutes ago, JME1149 said:

Nicely done, that red makes it look fast. Might want to highlite the "No 400" on the front cover, I did on mine and it really makes it pop.

Is that a gasket between the fan cover halves?

Thanks! I totally agree about the 'No 400' highlight.  Some mental anguish on that; I decided to wait until I can lay it out somewhere warm/comfortable before I give it a go.  The cover needs a second coat and  what appears to be a gasket is just a combo of a shadow and the edge that was missed on the first coat.  I wanted the brass to have a more 'gold' appearance, and I'll have to work on that.  

Since the pics were taken I added a cholla stem handle.  Durability is an issue, and I'm soaking it in linseed oil to help with that. Hadn't seen one before so I thought i'd give it a go.  Feels great in the hand.