I Forge Iron

Boring head for the lathe spindle.

aametalmaster

Here is a simple project i finally finished. A boring head for my SB lathe in the correct .602 taper for the spindle. Don't know if i will use it but it was fun to make. And it was FREE, the boring head was a gift i couldn't use...Bob

1st pic. Turning .602 South Bend Lathe taper.
2nd pic. Arbors made, i made extra since i was setup.
3rd pic. Threaded 1 1/2-18 for boring head.
4th pic. Boring head installed.
5th pic. Parts to use an arbor. Shaft/bushing/nut holds it inside the spindle.

southbend10k : SouthBendLathe10k and lathe projects. for more pics.

4634.attach

4635.attach

4636.attach

4637.attach

4638.attach

First
Bob If You Ever Get A Gift Again You Cant Use , Please Regift To Chuck. I Don't Mind Regifts At All

Second
That Is A Nice Idea Using A Drawbar , It Is Nice And Rigid That Way.

Third
Lots Of Things You Can Do With This Set Up, Line Boring Holes For Precision, Boring Small Engine Cylinders, Trepanning A Plate, Fly Cutting, Etc

Thanks for the ideas Chuck. I had installed a few years back a bigger cross slide with tee slots so i could do other jobs that i could clamp on the cross slide. Like this 45 degree milling of a slot i could not do any other way because i don't have a mill. This is the arm for my home made taper attachment being milled...Bob

4669.attach

HEY BOB
YOU DO PRETTY WELL WITHOUT A MILL ,
i have been a machinist for 25 years and i never tire of inovative ideas and fixtures for machine tools. thats where the money is made , take nothing and make something. I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR EFFORTS .

thats my bag take a 50 dollar an hour job and turn it into a 150 dollar an hour job. do you have any other posts of pics.
CHUCK

Chuck, everyone, I have about a thousand pics of setups i have done. Prob is they are scattered all over the net in photo albums i have. I have talked to Glenn about making blueprints and i will start some with my zillion projects from welding/ ornamental iron/ maching and some others.

I used my boring head today making a clearance cut on my tool post to clear the live center that always seems to hit at the wrong time...Bob
Pic #1 ALWAYS Watch the back side away from the cut, you don't want to hit anything. Turn it by hand to check for clearance.
Pic #2 Cutting in backgear with the spindle running slow.
Pic #3 Clearance cut done, perfect fit.
Pic #4 Looks like a beaver chewed it out but it will work.
Pic #5 Wrench and spindle nose protector pushing the boring head out of the taper. The taperered arbor locks itself pretty good into the tapered spindle ID.

4671.attach

4672.attach

4673.attach

4674.attach

4675.attach

• 1 year later...

aametalmaster

I have never heard of a south bend taper or a .602. It looks like a Morse #3 to me. Interesting way of setting up a boring head I will have to admit. I use them in my millers but have not tried in any of my lathes yet.

Jay

Here is a little info about the oddball spindle taper. A #3 MT will fit but it sticks out too far...Bob

An interesting point concerns the spindle nose: this uses what appears to be a short No. 5 Morse taper but is actually specified as a proprietary fitting with the same taper rate as a No. 3 Morse (0.602" per foot) but with a "gauge line" of 1.629" diameter. The "proper" No. 5 taper has a rate of 0.6315" per foot, and a gauge line of 1.748" diameter. Although calculations show that a standard (but shortened) No. 5 Morse taper 2.5-inches long would be approximately 0.006" loose at the smaller-diameter end in practice a No. 5 Morse does appear fit - though there is always the chance that your lathe may be different. The correct sleeve, to South Bend's specification, can be obtained from Scot Logan at lathe.com

It seems to me now that you mention explain it, I have heard of short tapers. I can't remember where, I thought it was in reference of a brit lathe though. I didn't realize SB used them. I have had three SB's and all were morse.
This is interesting, Jay