I Forge Iron

Hello Lebanon Oregon

Peter Newman

Hey All, 

New to the Board and the Trade. I have jumped on a awesome opportunity to be trained by a Master Blacksmith in the family. I had been not asking to be taught as I had really done a number on my wrists while i was in the Marines . I have had no problems for last couple of years so I finally asked to be taught.  I am being taught by a well know Smith but he is very old and doesn't want the word to get out that he is teaching. Both of our goals is for me to get trained up and for him to get back in shape to be able  to teach his long waiting list of people. 

So far I have been doing the things an apprentice would do

clean the shop! (pretty big mess couple more days and it should be ship shape) 
Servicing and fixing the forges
Learning how to start grow and Maintain a coal forge fire. 
How to fold down the forge after the end of day. 

Right now i am being taught forge welding.

So if you think you know who it is just keep it under hat I will give a shout out when he is ready to teach others. For now i have to get up to speed in order to assist him in all the mundane tasks so he can focus on teaching students while I watch over him and the shop. 

Peter Newman 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks frosty

yeah it's a pretty good deal. I'm rehabilitating an old forge here at home it's from the 1800's the blower and firebox are no longer useful but I am still going to use the table as a platform for a forge. Trying to take pictures as I go along so I can post the project up here when I figure out where it would go