I Forge Iron

Clay/plaster mixture for forge insulation

NightbladeCH

Good evening folks, my apologies first an foremost if this info is listed elsewhere but I also had a few other unrelated questions so I figured I'd simply post em here. Add to that I'm also at work and sadly without the net at home, well you get the picture. Moving on. I'm building a new forge out of an old gas grill. I'm removed all the extra and plastic bits and scrubbed and filed down the inside in prep for the insulation and firebricks. Might as well state I'm making a coal forge. 

What can I use as insulation for my forge and as a mortar for the firebricks? I live in Georgia so can I not simply grap some handfuls of that red clay with some sand and ash and slop it around? Or do I need something a bit more 'professional'?

Second question, I've a piece someone wants me to craft (hence the need for a bigger forge) an they want the pummel to sort of wrap around a quartz crystal. Is it OK to get one that hot? It's not gonna shatter or anything will it?  

Thirdly, my anvil edges are pretty trashed (from previous owners) and its an old 1800's anvil if memory serves correctly. Should I look to have it repaired? Now this likely will require a picture which I sadly did not have the foresight to take, but thanks anyway for any assistance.

Thanks for taking the time folks, I hope everyone had a good Time/Christmas and has a wonderful new year, blessed be and thanks again!

You want to hammer something around a piece of quartz?! What are you trying to make? I looked at information on heating quartz but the sites I came across probably violate the TOS here to repost. I hope that's not what your friend has in mind. I can't see that ending well for you either way.

As to the forge, clay will work fine. I ran a test today a la Charles Stevens and it worked wonderfully. I can't help at all with the anvil, but someone else might be able to if you provide pictures.

Yes, I wish to hammer a thin strip of metal around some quartz, nothing heavy light taps mind you but the heat from the metal transferring to the crystal is a concern. My search results didn't yield anything either. 

As to the clay I can use the Georgia clay in my yard? Is there a certain mixture ratio or will simple clay work?

If the hammer blows don't shatter the quartz - I'm inclined to think they would as it's very brittle - the heat could well damage it too. Apparently quartz is mined as an ore for silicon. You learn something every day...

Damp clay will probably work. The clay I used wasn't particularly pure but it rammed in and held well. Look up Charles' thread in the solid fuel forges section. It really is just a box of dirt. Don't overthink it.

If it's thin metal WHY DO IT HOT?  Just anneal the metal before adding the quartz and hammer it around then. (Trying not to impact the quartz if possible. annealed and thin you may be able to set the stone with your hands or a wooden mallet.)

Most people trying to "repair" an anvil will just spend money helping to destroy it a bit more.  If your local ABANA affiliate has an anvil repair day you might take it there and get good work done on it. Otherwise read up on the Robb Gunther method of anvil repair and if the person is not following it exactly; scream and throw things at them until they stop!  If they talk about milling the face ask if you can do heavy forging on the ways of their lathe and mill?  FIRST!

If you need a crisp edge; make a simple hardy tool and have *4* of them!

Thanks gents, I appreciate the feed back and of course your time. Thanks for the annealing idea Thomas, the idea simply hadnt occurred to me. I will look up and join a local ABANA chapter. Been needing to join one anyway just could never decide on which heh, there are quiet a few around my location

Insulation for a coal forge? NO

Cement for the brick in a coal forge? No, unless you're building a masonry forge then forget the BBQ.

Plaster? Only to repair the wall or joint the drywall though you'll be farther ahead to use joint compound.

Dig some good Georgia red clay, preferably just damp enough to clump and mix it with sand around 1pt clay to 2pts. sand. Adjust moisture as necessary with SPRINKLES of water if it's crumbly or dry sand if it leaves streaks on your palms, mix thoroughly and let rest a while. Once it's clumping moist ram it into the forge pan with a wooden mallet or the end of a 2 x 4 till they bounce.

Don't tell me I need to tell you to shape the clay mix before you ram it up!

Quartz will take LOT heat but not localized like laying HOT wire on it. That's one way to cut glass and break crystals in a controlled manner. Just wrap it with cold steel, remove the crystal and twist the cage a BIT tighter then spring it open enough to slip the crystal back in. This will let the cage hold it more securely. No need to hammer on the quartz.

Don't do a thing to your anvil except MAYBE wire brush it a little, not to try offending you but you don't know enough to do more than damage it. And NO taking it to a professional welder is no guarantee, more good anvils have been ruined by professional welders. Repairing an anvil is NOT just about knowing how to weld, you must know how to weld ANVILS. It's a specialization not covered in any welding manual or certification course.

Frosty The Lucky.