I Forge Iron

need help

matto

Hey all,  my mother in law wants a metal gnome,  I am looking for help with ideas??  I have seen clay Spencer do one on his treadle hammer but don't remember what all the tools and dies looked like.  Any other ideas would be great.  

How big? Check out the RR spike wizard how tos around the web and modify to suit. I've been kicking around a wood rack for next to the stove based on the spike wizard but more gnomish. I have some 1 1/4" sq. If I give it a hair pin bend and forge to a floppy point, a disk of 14 ga. and I have the hat. Chase out the face and then comes the tricky part. A gnome needs shoulders as well as big feet. So I figured I'd make another hair pin and forge BIG toed feet on the ends. Heat and spread the other part a bit below the Adam's apple and open it straight out, insert the legs and fold the arms down over the . . . body. Oh forge BIG hands on the ends of the arms.

A little 14 ga. to make his cloak to hide his steel thewed body and maybe a pack (gotta have someplace to hold kindling don't I?) from. This leaves BIG wide spread feet poking from under the cloak and wider spread arms from sleeves to hold a couple stove fulls of wood. The right hand, the one away from the stove door would be the fire tool holder and the hatchet fits a loop in his cable twist and knotted belt.

Just a thought, I have back shelves FULL of them you know.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty I have some of the same ideas,. Thanks.  The ones I watched clay do where from 1.5 and 2" square stock.  I have also been pondering a sheet metal one that is raised and chased.  I like the thought on a wood rack.  Gnomes should be helpful and doing something.