I Forge Iron

Latest try...

nonjic

Over the last couple of months Ive been having a go at 'forging' , more specifically pattern welding,

this is my 6th attempt and im enjoying my snatched hour or two at the forge. its very low layer (60ish) but i welded it lengthways aswell . its bandsaw and pallet strap.

this is all ive made so far, except my first one which ive lost.... :mad: (the top one is my knife from the cubs for comparison purposes....)

happy forging in 2008 everyone!

4630.attach

4631.attach

just using household borax at the moment... the latest one really diddnt want to weld (kept bursting when forging against the inital welds) so maybee a more agressive flux needed in the future. I got it to stick in the end by getting it real hot and squashing it real hard :) It had no option but to weld. (it stuck to the dies better than itself...)

Im hanging fire on finishing them a) coz ive not got a proper grinder yet - im using a 5 hp 60 grit linisher, and an angle grinder, and B) forging is more fun.

Ive got a real innovative knife grinder design on the drawing board ill be making in the new year, ill post it when its done ( errrm assuming it works !)