I Forge Iron

cutoff saws miter

I'm interested in adding a low rpm cutoff saw to my welding/ blacksmith shop, but have been unable to find any reviews on this. I had to place a order at Grizzly yesterday, so asked if they had any reviews on the saw they sell, they did not. I have looked on ytube, but its hard to tell how well they work or don't? Mostly I cut mild steel  for different projects and am not happy with the band saw cuts, Anyone have any insight or experience with these miter saws for steel ? 

Thanks Gary

I've seen a couple of industrial equipment people demonstrate them chopping A36 channel and like that.  They were using the made for the job carbide steel saw blades.

I've seen people use the abrasive cut off saws at the individual level.  In the steel mill  I worked like 50 feet from an abrasive cut off that chopped heavy wall tube ends.  So yes they work.  Would I trade my Chinese band saw for one no but I rarely need as may as 12 pieces in  one go.  If the saw will save you 8 hours in a year   I'd buy it.

Cold saw is the way to go if you need accurate and square cuts.  SOP in structural steel fab...at least prior to the new CNC beam lines.

The problem is, they are not cheap.  I have read some reviews on the Grizzly unit(s) and people were reasonably happy--but commented that it was a hair loose (like all chinese stuff).  Jet has a couple of models also so you might compare there.

Best is to wait for an industrial auction and get a Dake or similar true industrial brand.

Quality blades are the key.

Personally, I'd put the money into a better quality horizontal bandsaw unless you are cutting lots of small solid bits that MUST start dead square--faster, cheaper blade replacement, better ability to use coolant (than the lowest end cold saws), don't need a high infeed and outfeed table, better portability to tuck out of the way in the shop, larger cutting envelope.

I just checked out Jet on line and am leaning towards the portable model as would suit my needs at present. There several dealers close to me so after Christmas will check them out. Was reading specs. but did not see anything on arbor size or tpi? would be interested if other blade manufactures would fit this model or if only Jet brands would work?

Gary

There are a few cold saws that have been recommended to me over the years.  I hear their names mentioned as reliable saws.  Doringer is one that I hear all the time.  Most German saw are good, but I would stay away from Baliegh.  There are American saws that I'm sure are good but the prices for them are out of this world.  I have a UK made metal cutting saw called the Evolution.  So far it has held up to cutting all types of metal from solid bars to tubing with a clean, burr free cut.  However, I don't use it every day or and you must be gentile with it.  Good luck.