I Forge Iron

Hello from Arizona

pyroburner69

Just finished up a course at Pieh Tool and figured I would finally sign up. I have come across this forum and a few others before. I've always liked the idea of blacksmiting and was happy to finally get some instruction. I have taken a course at the local community college before but my instructions were pretty much here is a hammer, here is the forge have fun. Ive made a few knives but nothing to write home about. I recently made a set of tongs, some chisels and other tools as well as some scroll work, that was more fun then it should have been. I am looking to build a forge in my garage so I am able to work at home at my leisure I will need to pick up something I can pound on as well. I work with electronics, I can solder 0402's by hand points if anyone knows what those are. I enjoy working with my hands.

Not really sure what else to say. I look forward to seeing what everyone is making it always gives me new ideas and encouragement.

Also in Arizona and look forward to exploring this hobby way way more. Really new to it myself taking mainly Mesa art center bladesmithing and blacksmithing. Taking the MCC course next and maybe welding... I think as a newbie the toughest thing for me is a set of projects that ramps up the difficultly..well that's how I personally learn. make these 10 things...now make these 10 more...etc

http://azblacksmiths.org/dir-desertrat.htm

http://azblacksmiths.org/cal-desertrat-20160116.htm

This exists on 2nd Sundays too so found out about these 

Welcome aboard Pyro-guy, glad to have you. If you  put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance.

I bet to differ, it IS supposed to be that much fun. Really it IS! Playing with fire, hitting things, making noise, getting dirty fooling with things inherently dangerous. What's NOT fun about any of that?

Oh yeah, we LOVE pictures and we don't much care about what, so long as it's something you's show your 7 year old daughter.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for the welcomes. I updated a couple things in the profile.

Thanks for the links. Ill see if I can get the time to head up that way. I was happy to see that there are a few places in Arizona that do demos and have instructions. My last teacher said make 4 of something even if you make 4 at the same time each one will be better then the one before it. I have to agree although 10 might be a little overkill depending on the complexity of the projects. I like doing organic shapes like leaves and tools. I really like the idea of being able to make my own tools.

You are right frosty. It should be this fun, I've just been really enjoying the making tools. I mentioned that I was going to start working on more projects and had someone request a sword already. I told them I might get around to it in 10 years or so. I still have a lot of skills to acquire before I would be ready for that.

Ill add one more image just because.

asdf.jpg

10 YEARS?! :o You mean you aren't going to learn to blacksmith by making a sword! You sir are a unique individual or NOT 14.

Nice tongs, well done. The twist on the fire tool(?) is VERY nice, we'll be wanting a how too on that one.

You've got the knack alright, a little polish on the skills sets and you'll be giving lessons in no time.

Frosty The Lucky.