I Forge Iron

Need to find or fabricate a new clinker breaker for an old cast iron beast

twodogzz

I just acquired a large old cast iron forge and the clinker breaker is missing. The rod and ball handle still exist, but the breaker itself met some sort of tragic end. I need to come up with a design, or find one compatible, new or used. The Centaur Forge clinker breaker is too small. The circular opening in my fire bowl is 3".

I did buy the Centaur tuyere plate but I'll have to cut and grind on  it to make it fit. What success will I have with just that and no clinker breaker if I want to get started forging without a clinker breaker solution?

Any suggestions on finding or designing a new one? Here are some pics of the whole assembly. The only marking on any of it is "712" on the throat of the air intake.

forge3.JPG

forge6.JPG

forge9.jpg

You can buy steel balls from King's Architectural and other places that will do the job.  They even offer ones that have been drilled/punched all the way through so you can get a nice air flow through and around the sphere.  

If you have a grill to cover the hole in the pan, that will work perfectly all by itself.  The idea behind the clinker breaker is that you're supposed to be able to clear the opening of any clinkers with a simple twist of the handle rather than poking and prodding with a rake and damaging your fire.  They're not a "must have" item, though.

4 hours ago, VaughnT said:

You can buy steel balls from King's Architectural and other places that will do the job.  They even offer ones that have been drilled/punched all the way through so you can get a nice air flow through and around the sphere.  

If you have a grill to cover the hole in the pan, that will work perfectly all by itself.  The idea behind the clinker breaker is that you're supposed to be able to clear the opening of any clinkers with a simple twist of the handle rather than poking and prodding with a rake and damaging your fire.  They're not a "must have" item, though.

Thanks, Vaughn. I'll check them out. Sounds like a good solution. I figured a ball of some sort and a little bit of grinding was a good place to start.