I Forge Iron

What kind of anvil is this

I picked up this anvil today and really hope I didn't mess up. I looked for 3 months everywhere, Mountain top flea market in Ga, Murphy N.c. Flea market craigslist eBay and nothing that was in good condition out there. I feel like I overpaid and was just tired of looking, to make matters worse everything I have found is saying this may be cast iron!It has no marks anywhere besides the USA on side, I even looked underneath.  I asked the seller and they said it was Steel, feeling like a greenhorn rookie which I am. Help is appreciated.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

What does the ball bearing test say.  Pretty much nothing else matters when it comes to usability.  As for sellers actually knowing what they are selling---that is ancient history!  (combined with people misrepresenting what they are selling which *is* an ancient tradition---Caveat Emptor)   I once had the clerk at Harbor Freight tell me their cast iron anvil was steel---which is actionable misrepresentation!

How much did you pay for it?   My local scrap yard sells chunks of steel for $15 that make anvils that look a lot like ones in use for over 2000 years and still used by Japanese traditional swordsmiths.  They don't have a horn or hardy but they are anvils none the less.  Don't get hung up on needing a "London Pattern" anvil.

Don't get hung up on finding a specific size bearing, I usually have a couple 3/8" bearings in my pocket, they work a treat and are so easy to carry I forget they're there till I'm looking for something. Doing a rebound test with a hammer takes more practice so matching it against a bearing is a good way to learn what THAT hammer is telling you.

Frosty The Lucky.