I Forge Iron

Smoke Hazards

Forging Carver

This article goes for all you guys with a solid fuel forge without a chimney

So today once I was finished forging, I took a shower as usual. Once I got out I then get a face wipe and clean any soot still on my face. I then got a Q-tip and cleaned my ears which is also usual. However, today I have come to notice that the Q-tip was black which shows how much soot from the smoke gets into your ears. I then realized that my noise was a bit black on the inside so I cleaned that out. I now just went to blow my nose, and a black sort of booger type thing came out. This is really scary because if this much coal and soot gets just in your ears and nostrils, I can only imagine how much is in my lungs. This makes me more than ever want to get at least some kind of chimney for my forge. I have been keeping an eye out for some duct work, but at this point I am thinking abut just spending the money on it. I just thought I would share this with you fellows so you are aware of the importance of having a chimney on your forge. 

Coal forgers are not known as the black booger brigade for nothing!  Actually this is a plus as you can tell that coal smoke is something you shouldn't be breathing, but charcoal, coke and propane/NG are still producing toxic fumes but you don't have the visual reminder that breathing it is stupid!.  Over at ArmourArchive.org there is a post from a fellow who nearly killed himself with his gas forgr recently he managed to get out the door before passing out CO is NOT your friend!

It is ok to smoke but DO NOT inhale. If you can see it, smell it, or taste it, then it is not air and not good for the lungs.

Step out of the way of the smoke. Put a box fan to blow the smoke out of the work area. A chimney dies not eliminate the smoke it just moves it up and out of the way.

That may not be coal smoke in your ears, nose, and lungs. It may be the dust and dirt from the forging process, and dust and dirt you kick up while working, grinding, etc.

Lowes has MPERIAL 10-in x 60-in Galvanized Steel Round Duct Pipe for less than $14. Cut a hole in the side to let the smoke in. You can set it on a 3 sided stack of bricks instead of cutting a hole. Or look for a piece of metal you can roll into a tube to act as a chimney.

ok thanks I will look into that stuff.

17 hours ago, Glenn said:

It is ok to smoke but DO NOT inhale. If you can see it, smell it, or taste it, then it is not air and not good for the lungs.

Step out of the way of the smoke. Put a box fan to blow the smoke out of the work area. A chimney dies not eliminate the smoke it just moves it up and out of the way.

That may not be coal smoke in your ears, nose, and lungs. It may be the dust and dirt from the forging process, and dust and dirt you kick up while working, grinding, etc.

Lowes has MPERIAL 10-in x 60-in Galvanized Steel Round Duct Pipe for less than $14. Cut a hole in the side to let the smoke in. You can set it on a 3 sided stack of bricks instead of cutting a hole. Or look for a piece of metal you can roll into a tube to act as a chimney.

ok thanks I will look into that stuff. So do you mean to cut an arc shape and put it in the back of my forge? I was thinking about getting one of the bent pieces and then connecting it to a piece like this for a chimney. Only issue with that is I need a stand. Right now I am working in a 12 in dia brake drum as a forge, so this 10in duct will fit perfectly as an updraft.