I Forge Iron

Help with another anvil ID please.

Hi All,

I found a nice portable anvil so I do not have to lug the Fisher Norris (a bit less than double the weight of the little one) around. I would like to know what manufacture it is but google only returns john deere when i search for the JD initials. not sure if it is one though. I thought they only had these little marketing anvils.

I do not see any other marking than the "1 1/4 CWT JD". Does anyone have an idea if this is a john deere anvil or something else all together. 

Great anvil to use, excellent bounce but a ring like nothing else. very very clear, very high pitch and looonnng. only after hanging 4 proper neodym magnets underneath and on the sides and hanging something else of the magnets, it calms down to totally bearable. might try a chain or whatnot.

I would appreciate any and all ideas regarding manufacture, age etc.

cheers 

vaporlock

JD 1.jpg

JD2.jpg

There is a popular publication for tractor enthusiasts called GREEN MAGAZINE. It contains a very popular section entitles Mr. Thinker. The idea is to ask questions about JD products.

What makes it so entertaining is the fact the editors reply to the questions and criticize the folks who ask. I mean REALLY criticize them .....and their mother. Generally about stampings on a tractor part.

That's an unusual one. Did you get it in France? I have never heard of anything else marked JD. My first thought is that it is not a John Deere, because I would think if it was, the weight would be in pounds, not CWT. There aren't many American anvils marked with the hundredweight system, and if it ended up in France I would think an English origin would be much more likely. It looks like a Brooks, with that thick heel and the flats of the feet converging high on the waist. Most English anvils don't say "CWT" (it is just assumed), and most that do use hundredweight use the 3 digit making system so most manufacturers would mark your anvil as 1 . 1 . 0. Brooks is one of the few anvil makers that commonly used fractional hundredweight, and their 1 1/4 CWT was a popular anvil. It crossed my mind that the D could a damaged B and therefor stand for John Brooks, but it does look like a proper D. In any case, Brooks anvils like many others were stamped differently depending on which of several foundries they came from, and some anvils were stamped especially for an importer. My guess is that your anvil is a Brooks that was marked especially for an importer.

Hi All,

Ian, Foundryman, Thanks for the info. I'll look into the brooks anvils and see if i can find out more, I did find it in France and the D does look like a proper D, i'll give that a closer look as well. It is a very nice anvil to use. It has a very lively bounce a lot less tiring than the fisher who's bounce isn't that lively (anymore). I missed my mark once (completely) and xxxx did that hammer come back up quick. no time for though, reflex or anything else. 

vaporlock