I Forge Iron

strange cold chisel

I found this chisel in my friends diseased uncles welding shop it was laying on the floor and I asked him if I could have it and he said yes so I took it home and cleaned it up. what's weird is how it has one bevel so I thought it was on old cold chisel that was converted into a wood working tool but I still cleaned it up and sharped it also the brand is Herschel with the numbers 633 next to the brand name

if someone's ever seen a single beveled cold chisel please let me know

Nick O

IMG_1731[1].JPG

IMG_1732[1].JPG

I've seen them before. I've seen them used for a number of things. One would be if you wanted to chisel out a hole in heavy stock. You'd drill out most of the stock, then chisel out the rest to your line. The single flat side would be towards your line, and the bevel would be towards the center to carve out the waste. I've also seen them used to cut sheet stock in a vise. You clamp the stock on the line you want to cut, then keep the flat side down against the vise and the bevel towards the waste.

I have a much longer one that I use as a hot chisel.

It's called a Brick chisel. 

Brick Chisel. Also called a bolster or brick set, the brick chisel is used to make smooth cuts on bricks. Rough cutting of brick is usually done with a brick hammer (which has a chisel-like blade opposite the face of the hammer).

Cutting a brick with a brick set isn’t complicated. Position the chisel perpendicular to the brick, with the straight side of the cutting edge facing the end of the brick to be used. Strike the handle of the chisel with a small sledge or club hammer, hard enough to score the brick but not to shatter it. Score the brick on all sides, then strike it once more to break the brick in two.

10 hours ago, WL smith said:

I have made them for knocking loose jamb nuts when one can't get a wrench in to turn it. Hard on the nuts but they are cheep!

your probably right this welding shop worked on farm equipment back in the 70s-80s

On 11/21/2015, 8:52:46, DSW said:

I've also seen them used to cut sheet stock in a vise. You clamp the stock on the line you want to cut, then keep the flat side down against the vise and the bevel towards the waste.

I have 2-3 ground that way for this exact purpose. I can just about cut 16ga faster than I can with a reciprocating saw. Dang sure more accurately too, lol.