I Forge Iron

My first folding knife

Seth Lancaster

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2015 at 8:52 PM, T.J.watts said:

Nice first. I wouldn't redo it, instead keep it as is to compare with the next one. Just curious why 1040?

I have actually already re-done it. The problem is that the lock did not work very well, and it did not open smoothly. Now it works like a charm! Also the bamboo handle did not work very well. It was in a way too soft, and did not finish well. 

I used 1040, as that is the only metal I could get here in Mozambique. It is actually made from a grass cutter, which is 1040. If I had better steel I would use it, but I don't. 

Then you may wish to edit your location to where you really are located, we cant help you resource if your posted location in fantasy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Thanks guys! It was a lot of fun to make, though it really wasn't too hard. I took apart an old folding razor knife to get the idea for the lock, and then I modified it for this knife. I also took gun blueing and blued it, now I use it as my normal carry around knife. I am pretty impressed with the steel actually, it holds an edge well! 

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...