I Forge Iron

Hydraulic Demo Hammer Bit

I've been wanting to make a tall anvil for forging plate.  I've had my eye on large hydraulic demo hammer bits (6" diameter).  I've never managed to find one in a scrap yard.  They must periodically wear out or fail.  Does anyone in the greater Puget Sound area know of a source? 

StrikerII_zps65f0f0af.jpg

-Adair

Around me I'd talk to quarries and a few of the big names that do heavy demo down in the city, companies that demo concrete high rises and so on. Those would be the people I'd expect to either break or wear out breaker bits like that.

From what I remember when I lived out that way, most of the ground is glacial till, not hard bed rock like we have around me, so I doubt you have the same sort of hard rock quarries we do. That would also rule out companies that dig basements as I doubt that they need to hammer and blast like they some times do in my area. Heavy concrete demo would be you best bet.

DSW,

Thanks for the input.  I stopped by a Cat dealership/service facility.  They have had them in the past, but they said it's not often they wind up with scrap.  I missed a 5" diameter one by a week.  I did get a 48" long chunk of shafting that was 4" diameter.  I'm sure I'll be able to come up with a project for that.  Honestly I'm surprised they were open to me dumpster diving at all.  Most places have strict orders from the higher-ups to discourage that. 

-Adair

Talking to the guys who do the work in the shop is usually the key. Office types almost always say "no". A case of cold ones, stopping by with a pizza or gift card to the local pizza joint who delivers, or even a few forged nick knacks like bottle openers will usually get those kind of guys to keep you in mind. Leaving them a card with your name and number that is easy to remember will often get them to call YOU, when something you may want happens by. Even if you don't need it, thanking them and telling them you appreciate them thinking of you will go a long ways along with the little gifts.