I Forge Iron

$ 10.00 post drill

I  stopped at a junk sale today and bought a Champion  post drill. Looking at some pics I think it's a #98. Everything turns as it should. It is missing the power feed lever that rides on the cam and twists the feed. It also has no chuck. The end of the spindle is square and has a hole through it about 1" from the end.  I'd like to put a drill chuck on it. Any ideas on this? What are the chances of finding a lever for the advance mechanism? I'll post pics later.

Doug you are correct. It definitely has a tapered square hole for brace and bit bits. I took it all apart and polished up every shaft and bushing and put it back together. It works flawlessly. I need to make a new bushing for the shaft that the crank handle hooks to. I looked at the link you sent and I think that chuck would work. I've considered cutting the square end off the shaft and drilling a 1/2" hole and a set screw to fit a Jacobs chuck. Is this a bad idea? I also messed around this morning and built a new autofeed mechanism. I'm not satisfied with it but It gave me better ideas on how to make a better one.

100_5262.JPG

100_5263.JPG

100_5264.JPG

100_5265.JPG

Biggest problem I see drilling the shaft would be getting it all aligned perfectly. It might be doable with a lathe possibly. I'd be more tempted to make an adapter similar to the one I sent you the link to. A small Jacobs chuck should be easy to find, say off a defunct drill of some sort and couple it with a tapered end off an old drill. I can see it being easier to line all that up straight. Possibly threading the drill shaft to match the chuck, or maybe even soldering it all together. Personally I'd want to leave the tool as original as possible, but that's just me.

Greetings AR,

I have restored many post drills and have aquired quite a collection.  If it was mine the cheapest way would be to cut the shaft and with a lathe machine a 1/2 male thread on the end for a female chuck installation. Did you get the adjustable table?  Good luck with your restoration ..

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

Jim I didn't get the table. I don't have a problem sending it to my friends machine shop and have it machined for a chuck. It has a piece broken that would have held a spring to return the autofeed lever. If it was a little nicer and complete I would be more interested in keeping it original. In time I'll make a table and find a good chuck to use on it. I have a good 1/2" keyless chuck but i'm afraid it may not be suited for a drill press