I Forge Iron

Id for anvil seller

I know this guy who wants to sell an anvil but doesn't want to put a price ion it until he finds out more about it, namely the makers name and age . I had limited time to look at it but this is what I got. Stamped 1-3-20 which I make  216 pounds .Its in good condition has good rebound across the entire face and nice ring.

but cannot see any other markings.

IMG_0907.JPG

IMG_0898.JPG

IMG_0905.JPG

IMG_0902.JPG

IMG_0900.JPG

It would help if you posted a better head-on pic of the throat showing the hole under the horn, and a better shot directly from the side, showing a cleaner profile of the hanging end. Another thing you can do is lay it on its side and coat it with oil and look at it from a low angle - the shininess can help you see very faint depressions that are hard to see otherwise. Hard to say what it is. I agree that the pattern and the shape and layout of the number stamps do look like a Mousehole, as well as the numbers being stamped instead of raised, but one issue I see is that there do not appear to be any dots between the numbers. Mousehole anvils nearly always have dots, or bullets, between the numbers, and the dots are usually quite deep, to the degree that the dots are sometimes the only visible marks left. Possibly Mousehole, but I would think it is more likely a minor brand and possibly the work of someone who learned anvil making at Mousehole and struck out on their own.

It would be pretty heavy for a Wilkinson, most are considerably smaller, in the 150 lbs range. It would also be exceedingly rare for a Wilkinson to display the stone weight, almost all are noted in actual pounds, and I have only heard of 1 exception. If it is a Wilkinson, the makers mark would usually be on the other side, so look carefully for a mark that looks like a pair of crossed hot dogs.

Other than that, I don't know what t tell you - There are a lot of little known brands.

Edited by Ian Sayers

Thanks guys,though this was going to be a tough one most times you get at least a letter or a bit of a symbol showing.Problem is its not mine and I no longer have access to it.Here is a couple more photos that show the shape of the feet clearer which are similar to a mouse hole and also a pre 1852 PW

IMG_0899.JPG

IMG_0901.JPG

After some referencing, I'm thinking it's an old Peter Wright. If it is a PW, then it's almost certainly pre-1860, and likely pre-1852. The feet are ridged on top instead of flat, so that suggests circa 1852 or before. There is no "solid wrought" stamp around the middle weight number, so that also suggests pre-1860. The total absence of a trade mark is still weird. There is a picture of a pre-1852 PW in AIA that looks just like this one and has the same depression / parting line in the face in the same spot. The pic isn't good enough to make out any markings, but the flawed face and the sharp profile of the feet are identical.

Hi Frozenforge thanks for your comment the photo I took of the opposite side  is too dark so I am getting the seller to send me another,there may have been a w amongst the chisel marks.It may well be a wilkinson

I may be seeing things but that symbol that looks like an arrow pointing upwards does look like part of the Wilkinson sign , see the photo of another Wilkinson that I used to own. note that photo is turned sideways the arrow shape is actually pointing up.

IMG_0327.JPG

Yeah turbo I see that symbol I thought it was a W but its hard to pick the real marks from chisel marks.If that were to be a W then the wilkinson cross would be directly below as this picture, found an interesting line in the Anvils in America book,"I have been told that there are more Wilkinson anvils in Australia than any other make"

IMG_0913.JPG

Yeah, that is a Wilkinson. The faded pic you posted afterward is exactly what I meant by "a pair of crossed hot dogs". The only one I've seen so far that uses stone weight. Also unusually large for a Wilkie, though I'm not too familiar with the anvil scene in Australia... Cool score.