I Forge Iron

Sore fingers

I'm not so sure about the weak muscles idea. FWIW I grew up on a farm and was used to a lot of physical labor.  In the winter we cut tons and tons of firewood which we split with a 20 pound maul that had a metal handle.  The muscles that got sore for me were never the fingers.  Believe it or not the stomach muscles would ache and of course arms and shoulders would share some of the pain.  When it was finger pain it usually had to do with a bad strike which resulted in vibration in the handle or the handle twisting.  If the muscles in your fingers are sore, to me that would indicate that you're squeezing the handle way too tight or that you're getting some serious vibrations or twisting through the handle.  There were times when after using chainsaws all day long my fingers ached and I almost had to pry them open from the position they were in while using the saws, but I believe that was due to the vibration and not weak muscles. 

When I learned to milk a cow my hands would cramp up a bit while actually milking until I got used to it, but the aches didn't continue for any significant time once done.  I'm no doctor and I don't know what you're feeling, but just from my experience if the aches are remaining very long after the activity is done I doubt it's weak muscles - unless you are gripping the handle too tight.

I assume CS means computer science.

I am a teacher so most of my physical labor occurs in the summer.  I find that my muscles get sore for a few days when I start moving or dealing with heavy items.  After using a power grinder and slide hammer for extended periods my hand would lock up.  My hand doctor (carpel Tunnel, and wrist injuries) said to do the following:

Work for a while, stop flex hand and do some hand stretches before your hand gets tired, switch up activities.  As your hand strengthens you may be able to work longer.  Start getting into this habit while working at a computer.  It will deter, or at least stop repetitive stress injuries.

If I had known this and applied it I would not have developed RS injuries in both hands. 

there are muscles in the palm, the muscles that move the fingers are in the forearm, there are no muscles in the fingers. sore fingers will be in the tendons and joints from gripping hard with no finger movement. you may have a little flexor tendinitis which is a swelling of the tendons

vibration that causes tingling is affecting the nerves and blood flow and will damage the nerves if it is continued for long periods. the other soreness is when the protective pads of the fingers are bruised or damaged.