I Forge Iron

Pointy Object Friday

Nobody Special

I'm not a big knifemaker, and I'm definitely not a huge fan of railroad spikes. I have more fun making tools, hooks, knicknacks, etc. But, I enjoy it once in awhile, they sell well, and there's a lot of bladeworkers in the metal world. So....I'm trying something new in my shop (and pushing on social media,) Pointy Object Friday...for pointy objects.

Today's submission, a ram's head rr spike knife. This drove me nuts, trying to figure out how to make it without first cutting a length for horns and doing a faggot weld to form the head. (The trick, incidentally, is cut with a cold chisel, and a little underneath, then get in the corners with the crosspein or a small bar as set hammer. Expect the horns to be shorter than normal.) Not quite as clean as my attempts at the other version.

Slot cut into each side and twisted, then finished in the usual traditional crapp...I mean rustic rr spike finish, complete with hammer marks and scale. Pointy Object Friday. Pass it on.

spike1.thumb.jpg.fbe371c69b00ade893fe565spike2.thumb.jpg.50fcb95efcb9812b809c118spike3.thumb.jpg.da19687eace501f2b0697e3spike4.thumb.jpg.9eefe99c74285f9541d6e9c

I've been wracking my dented brain to come up with some sort of valid way to add another word starting with an O so you could call it POOF day. But . . . Oh well.

I know how popular spike KSOs are and appreciate that you don't pretend it is a knife. It is a charming pointy object, I like it. It's refreshing to see you didn't use a snake head finial, that one's a little too easy. I know I've used it too often my own darned self.

Frosty The Lucky.

I've been wracking my dented brain to come up with some sort of valid way to add another word starting with an O so you could call it POOF day. But . . . Oh well.

Well Frosty.......Maybe,  Pointy Odd Object Friday, Pointy Old Object Friday, Pointy Oblong Object Friday, Pointy Ornate Object Friday, Pointy Ominous Object Friday........... How bout Just "Pointy Objects On Friday"

Cool spike Knife by the way. I haven't worked up the courage to try a animal head yet. I like the way yours turned out.