I Forge Iron

new from southern manitoba

friesenjr

Hi just started playing around with smiting but I'm in desperate need of tools! I have an anvil and blower but that's it. Can anyone in southern Manitoba or northern north dakota (Winnipeg to Grand Forks/Fargo) give me some direction on where to look for used supplies?

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. Aw, you're not in such desperate straits you have the #1 hard to find tool an anvil and a blower makes putting a forge together pretty darned easy. The rest are easy peasy, any smooth faced hammer under 2lbs. is a good place to start. I like starting folk out with a 32oz. Driller's hammer the handles a little short so it's easy to control while you're learning hammer control and it's not so heavy you're likely to injure yourself.

A couple ball peins are good to pick up too, they're on my grab-em if the price is right list at garage, yard rummage, etc. sales. Cold chisels and punch kits are on the list too, they make excellent stock, you can put many right to work.

Start practicing at the anvil with pieces of stock long enough you don't need tongs, say in the 24" range till you've developed the skills to make them, then go to town making tongs you'll want a bunch.

PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) is important, eye protection a MUST, almost anything else you do to yourself will heal up. The traditional retirement notice for a blacksmith was losing the other eye.

A couple pair of pliers, slip joints are good for holding punches chisels, etc. if you get short ones, the work is HOT even through a glove. Vise grips are good for same and SOME tong work. Diagonal side cutters and fencing pliers are good for cutting wire, etc. A couple Crescent wrenches will serve for twisting wrenches till you can forge em up.

If you're going to wear glove I don't recommend it but wear one on my left hand because I use a gas forge and it blows HOT and fire out the doors when I'm fiddling with the work. Any if you wear gloves, especially leather gloves have a bucket of water handy so you can get it off quickly. See, if you get leather too hot it will shrink and trap your hand then cook it, If you dunk it in the bucket the water will cool the heat and soften the leather. Occasionally you might want to stick a foot in if a cut off or something HOT falls in your shoe/boot.

I think that's pretty good as a basic kit. You have the good parts, the rest can be made.

Frosty The Lucky.

Good Morning, JR

You are between the Ontario Artist Blacksmith Association (OABA) and the Western Canadian Blacksmith Guild in Saskatoon. Both groups are very strong and have lots of information. Check out their web-sites and maybe go for a drive to join in one of their events. The information available from their members are HUGE!!

Enjoy the Journey

Neil         

Vancouver Island Blacksmiths Association www.viblacksmiths.com

• 3 months later...

I'm in the same boat as you. Southern Manitoba is filled with old farms and farmers. Find a few old farmers near you and just ask them. They will either have something for you or know who to talk to.

Farm sales are the other way. Auctions. 

• 2 years later...