I Forge Iron

Customer Care Instructions and Materials

There have been a couple of posts recently mentioning passing on care and maintenance instructions to the customer.

I think this is a great idea but it got me started thinking about what those instructions should be. We obviously can't ask them to apply hot like we do.

What instructions do you or should be passed onto customers for care of pieces with wax or finished pieces? and what products do you recommend for customers to use?

If somebody owns something I made long enough to need another coat of Trewax I'll come over and do it for them. I have Trewax (carnuba) finished plant hangers on the barn, porch, etc. that have been there going on 17 years and are still unaffected by Alaskan weather.

A blow drier or heat gun is plenty to warm pieces for waxing or curing oil. . . Most oils.

Frosty The Lucky.

If somebody owns something I made long enough to need another coat of Trewax I'll come over and do it for them. I have Trewax (carnuba) finished plant hangers on the barn, porch, etc. that have been there going on 17 years and are still unaffected by Alaskan weather.

A blow drier or heat gun is plenty to warm pieces for waxing or curing oil. . . Most oils.

Frosty The Lucky.

I have pieces shipped all over the country, can't really run over and touch them up myself.

My camping cookware I apply a hot vegetable oil finish and advise customers basically to care for the pieces as the would cast iron cook ware.

I was just wondering if others had care instructions they provided for different applications and finishes .