I Forge Iron

Any Blacksmiths here? I live in Spartanburg, SC.

I live in Spartanburg, SC and am looking at doing some hobby work in  forging and casting.  I've had 42+ years in Foundry Metallurgy ... from Al to Steels and green sand ,  no-bake to permanent mold.  However, I've done only a little smithing and just built a mini forge to get back into thing. Going to Osteen's in Grenville to buy some coal.

Osteen Coal

402 N Markley St

Greenville, SC

864-370-1150

I think I already said welcome aboard replying to your last post. However at the fear of repeating myself, putting your general location IN the header puts it where anybody reading a post by you can see it. Believe me we aren't going to remember where you are once we open another post.

If you scroll to the near bottom of the Iforge opening page you will come to the regional organizations section where you can browse till you find one close enough to you to hook up. You will learn more in a day with an experienced smith than you will in weeks or more learning on your own. It'll also hook you up to tools, equipment, materials, classes, work shops, demos, BBQs, etc.

Lots of blacksmiths in SC. LOTS.

Frosty The Lucky.

I think I already said welcome aboard replying to your last post. However at the fear of repeating myself, putting your general location IN the header puts it where anybody reading a post by you can see it. Believe me we aren't going to remember where you are once we open another post.

If you scroll to the near bottom of the Iforge opening page you will come to the regional organizations section where you can browse till you find one close enough to you to hook up. You will learn more in a day with an experienced smith than you will in weeks or more learning on your own. It'll also hook you up to tools, equipment, materials, classes, work shops, demos, BBQs, etc.

Lots of blacksmiths in SC. LOTS.

Frosty The Lucky.

I'll take a second look, but thought it said inactive ... also I appreciate the welcome!!!

metallurgistAs foundry metallurgist for NNS I helped in pouring casting for both new carrier and sub construction .. plus previous years of  many different alloys and molding methods. Looking to some fun stuff!

It might be inactive but there should be some contact info. You can try organizations farther out in a search pattern. Sooner or later you'll contact someone who knows someone who . . . etc. 

How close to Brasstown are you? I have a couple blacksmith friends or maybe I should say a blacksmith couple there. I have to pass on posting their contact info but if you'd like I'll pass yours to them. PM me if you'd rather not send contact info on a public forum.

Frosty The Lucky.

The closest NC sub-group meets in Mooresville north of Charlotte second Sunday each month.

PSABG just met in Camden, I think that they meet in even numbered months somewhere different in the state each time.

Foothills of the Carolinas Blacksmith Guild is on facebook, they meet near Spartanburg once a month on Saturday.

Edited by John McPherson

The closest NC sub-group meets in Mooresville north of Charlotte second Sunday each month.

PSABG just met in Camden, I think that they meet in even numbered months somewhere different in the state each time.

Foothills of the Carolinas Blacksmith Guild is on facebook, they meet near Spartanburg once a month on Saturday.

thanks for the help!

trying to locate the Carolina's group ... facebook page, but don't see a link to someone to discuss ... any email addresses would be appreciated!

HalHartel@gmail.com

• 8 months later...

I'm new to the trade also in spartanburg. Think I bite off more than I can chew so any help would be awesome and if yall can point me towards some one I can watch and teach me a lil would be awesome

45 minutes ago, bdutton said:

I'm new to the trade also in spartanburg. Think I bite off more than I can chew so any help would be awesome and if yall can point me towards some one I can watch and teach me a lil would be awesome

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mill-Spring-Ag-Center/266216476804997  

Here's a place I've found to help get me going. There are classes too! 

halhartel@gmail.com  

http://share.here.com/r/mylocation/e-eyJuYW1lIjoiRm9vdGhpbGxzIG9mIHRoZSBDYXJvbGluYXMgQmxhY2tzbWl0aCBHdWlsZCIsImFkZHJlc3MiOiIxNTYgU2Nob29sIFJkLCBNaWxsIFNwcmluZywgTm9ydGggQ2Fyb2xpbmEiLCJsYXRpdHVkZSI6MzUuMzAxMjI4NiwibG9uZ2l0dWRlIjotODIuMTU5Njg3OSwicHJvdmlkZXJOYW1lIjoiZmFjZWJvb2siLCJwcm92aWRlcklkIjozMTcxMjQ0ODQ5ODg1MjF9?link=addresses&fb_locale=en_US&ref=facebook 

1 hour ago, bdutton said:

Thank you.I do not have Facebook so couldn't see it all. Is there anything closer than nc 

There is an art smithy in Greenville ... If you email me I might be able to find their info.  The NC deal is only about 35  minutes away .. right up I-26.