I Forge Iron

Blade Coatings

I know and understand that most folks HATE blade coatings of any kind. I would still like to try some and judge for myself. Many factory knives are being done with newer products that appear to hold up better. Please don't give me all the negative reasons why they are 'bad'- have heard them all for years.

Anyone have first-hand recent experience with black blade coatings that work?

What did you use?

How has it held up for you?

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Dave,

I have an old commercial K-Bar that I bought when I was about 18. (Over 25 years ago)  I beat the snot out of that knife as a camping tool for many years.  Used it for cutting down small trees and splitting firewood among other abuses.  The finish was supposedly "Parkerized", but it looks like a pretty thick and very black coating for being parkerized.  If you can find out what ca 1989 K-bars were treated with, you might give it a try.

What ever it is, it has held up remarkably well.  It certainly doesn't look new and shiny, but then again the blade would not look new and shiny even if it had no coating at all.

• 5 months later...

I've done duracoat and cerakote on rifles, both held up pretty well with only minor field wear.

I've also done a few with regular engine header ceramic based paint, and they actually held up surprisingly well.

I'll be following this post because I also want a good black/grey finish.

Have you thought about gun bluing?

• 6 months later...