I Forge Iron

For all the railroad spike knife and hawk enthusiasts    commercial link removed, Please read and FOLLOW ToS

No, they are not great steel but they are fun little projects. The little hawks will throw wood chips as well as most of the import cast hatchets I've seen lately and since I have no plans to shave with a tomahawk I dont need it to have the best edge steel available in the 21st century! If you heat them up to critical, quench in water and draw them back a bit they will be tougher than most of the hawks being made before the electric arc furnace came along.

IMG_20150601_182956.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Looking good!

I haven't made a hawk yet (and my wife wants one), so stupid question: was this just taking the spike, flatten out the one side and use the fuller to expand it, a guillotine/fuller tool/edge of the anvil with cross peen to create those nice shoulders/divots, and a make the hole with a drift punch?

Just curious how you made it if you're willing to share!

Looking good!

I haven't made a hawk yet (and my wife wants one), so stupid question: was this just taking the spike, flatten out the one side and use the fuller to expand it, a guillotine/fuller tool/edge of the anvil with cross peen to create those nice shoulders/divots, and a make the hole with a drift punch?

Just curious how you made it if you're willing to share!

Punch first, then drift to size. I use a long taper drift to draw the cheeks down, there isnt a lot of material to work with on a 5/8" square but you can draw them down a little. Next I used a guillotine fuller just as you said. You can also use a spring fuller or even top and bottom fullers if you have someone to strike for you. I hammer the blade into a fishtail and do a little grinding to finnish. If you plan to forge weld a high carbon bit in for a blade you will need to upset and slit the socket before you punch and drift the eye.

• 1 month later...