I Forge Iron

Let's talk grinders... again.

Don A

I'm really beginning to consider buying a good 2x72 grinder.

I'm in to the early period stuff, so I seriously don't foresee the need for the need to ever do much hollow grinding, Everything I have done so far has been finished with files.

So, I'm looking for a machine to do flat grinds. I am assuming that a flat platten is going to be my primary grinding surface. What would be the exceptions that might cause me to need a wheel? What would be the advantages of the bigger wheels... 6", 8", 10", etc.?

Now, let's talk brands. First of all, if I had the cash, I'd definitely go KMG. Second place would probably be Bader. I've seen Rob demo the KMG, and it is an awesome piece. But the truth is, it is probably a better machine than I deserve, and also more than I can afford at this point.

That leaves me with 2 choices, as far as buying new: Grizzly or Coote.

The Grizzly is about $470 new, ready to work. It has an integral motor.
B0000DD0AL.01-A3TQ3OIW6NTQKL._SCMZZZZZZZ

The Coote is a little more professional looking, but requires a seperate belt-drive motor.
The price for 2"x6"x72" is 395.00 + Shipping Shipping Wt. 29#
TwoGrinders2.jpeg

So what do you think? I gladly welcome any input.

Don

I have an expensive variable speed belt grinder and it is wonderful. I also have a Grizzley. I use the Grizzley for more things than I do the other. both have things they do really well. I hollow grind, I do not use the grizzley for that. When I grind the left side of a blade the motor is in the way. I use the Grizzley for profiling all of my blades after rough cutting them on the band saw. For mirror finished blades that I do the big draw back to the Grizzley is the motor and the single speed. If I had to replace the Grizley it would likely be with a Coote as I could use step pulleys for speed adjustment and the motor would not be in my way. May be a bit of savings on shipping also. Enjoy,,,,

The integral motor on that Grizz is very resticting.
It's one speed, you're always bumping into the motor when grinding "left", it doesn't track well, that flat platen is for --it, etc.
However, it was my first grinder!! Almost 10 years ago when they first started offering it. I actually still use it when I just want to de-bur something, and don't want to use a REAL grinder like the others listed here.
I've considered converting it to a buffer since it's only a 3750 motor.
You will use contact wheels of al sizes even if you aren't hollow grinding. Sometimes you will just need to small contact area which is easy to achieve with a wheel. You may want a rubber surface behind your belt for some purpose that you can't get with the platen.
I use my 8" wheel to put concave areas on my handles for palm swells, etc.
Just get a good one and you can always add to the accesssory list as needed.
You can't do that with the grizz.
Oh, and get the variable speed. Spend the extra bucks. You will be able to make better knives - sooner, and pay for the grinder!

A very similar question was recently asked on my forum. Heres a link to that conversation... The Knife Network Forums : Knife Discussions

If your going to purchase a "good" 2x72 grinder, I wouldn't recommend either of those two machines. Both are very limited in what they can do compared to the KMG or Bader style machines. When you pay the money for a top end grinder, what your paying for is the precision and versatility.

Either of those two machine will seem wonderful at first, then they will start nagging you what may seem like "small" problems such as belt tracking, smoothness, and limited versatility. After a while you will get fed up with the issues, spend money to try to make them work better (which never works out), and then eventually you'll be looking to purchase a "better" machine. If at all possible, I would highly encourage you to save some more money, and buy a KMG right off the bat. Its going to make your grinds better, and therefore you overall knives better. With only routine maintenance, it will last you a lifetime, and provide you nearly unlimited expansion opportunities.
It boils down to the old saying...."Pay me now, or pay me later". Eventually, if you continue making knives, your going to want a "good" grinder, so why not skip handicapping yourself and get the best you can to begin with? In this case, the tool really does improve the finished product.

I've got a Coote grinder, 10" contact wheel (and the optional disc attachment) and it's great. I got mine more as a general shop grinder than for knives, but it's great for blades now that i'm doing blades. Sure, eventually i'll get myself a KMG, but in the mean time I love my coote, and even if i do get a kmg the coote will still have a spot in my shop, i'ts a good machine.