I Forge Iron

Getting back to the anvil in NE Ohio

JHCC

Hi, all. I'm John, I'm 47 years old, and I'm coming out of a long hiatus.

I did some hobby blacksmithing when I was a teenager, after taking an intro course from Fred Christ (Head Blacksmith at Samuel Yellin Metalworkers) at the old Philadelphia College of Art. I still have a number of pieces I made then, including a fancy two-tine roasting fork I made for a girl I knew who was having her Sweet Sixteen. (She's now my wife. Ladies love blacksmiths.)

One of my reasons for getting back into this is perhaps a bit unusual: my twelve-year-old son is on the autism spectrum and was attending a special camp program this summer to help him develop his social skills. The camp brought in a young smith to do a little knifemaking demo, and all the kids got to take a few whacks at a cherry-red railroad spike. He had a great time, and I think this could be a great way for the two of us to have some quality father-son time. Besides, I've never worked with a striker before.

I sold, gave away, or lost most of my old tools, but I still have my old anvil (a 150-ish no-name London pattern) and a couple of hammers. I just remounted the anvil on a scavenged ash log and am thinking about making a coffee can forge (I already have a pretty wicked propane torch). Starting to scavenge some steel to make some new tools, and have been reading up on some of my old books and on this fancy newfangled internet thing.

Let's see where this goes.

Edited by JHCC

Welcome aboard prodigal blacksmith guy, glad to have you! If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance.

I've recently acquired a student who is "autistic" to some degree or another and working hot steel is doing wonders for him. If for no other reason than relieving some frustration, he can communicate with a hammer just fine. We had to go through a few hoops before I convinced him saying he didn't know or understand was good thing. I can't explain something if I don't know you don't understand.

I don't see him often enough for either of us but every session is a good thing. Consistent rules, set and easily understood goals and patience. We're both getting a lot from the experience. After meeting his Father I suspect fetal alcohol syndrome rather than autism though.

Frosty The Lucky.

Bubba's anvil is too low for him. Mount it so the face is around wrist height when he is standing next to it. It will make a big difference in his ability to control the effects of the hammer. Same goes for you but you can adjust more easily.

Michael's a good kid he just needs folk to stop treating him like he's made of eggs. Kids want to live up to our expectations and will, just don't expect them to be damaged and helpless, they won't be. So they need help, don't we all?

Frosty The Lucky.