I Forge Iron

Beaudry and Bradley info needed.

That's a nice pair of hammers to really get some work done.

Is that #11a motor driven hammer with the integral cone clutch as opposed to the more common belt driven models with the slack belt and idler wheel setup ?

I have  a #7 ,200lb. motor driven  Beaudry Champion hammer that has been in full time use for about 10 years. I believe it was built about 1924.

Some things I've learned to keep it running smoothly;

Keep everything well lubricated every few hours at least [ I use Vactra #2 way oil ]

I believe the clutch cone gets the necessary lubrication by the oil that seeps out the back of the top main bearing.

Keep the main drive belt tight and dressed so there is no slip.The main drive wheel needs to be  running at full speed and power when the clutch is engaged for smooth pickup and maximum power

Keep the brake properly adjusted and the brake lining in good shape. I use belt leather glued to the cast iron brake shoe with Gorilla Glue.

Make sure there is no slop or looseness in the linkage and the lifting spring for the treadle is adjusted so the brake is engaged as soon as you let up on the treadle.

Getting everything in balance takes some time and attention, but it's all out there where you can see it and adjust it.

Build a guard around the drive belts with some flat bar and expanded mesh. Make it easily removable  with an access door to lubricate the belt tension roller.

The motor driven hammers are rare and information is scarce, but there are a few of us around figuring them out and keeping these fine old machines working.

Send me a PM and I'll arrange to send you a copy of the original Beaudry factory literature that I have.

Good info and comments bout adjusting things and about lubricating, Beaudry one thing though the clutch on the motor driven Beaudry Champion hammer is not a cone type clutch, on a hammer that big I have found it beneficial to stop the ram at the top of it stroke when finished forging which it pretty much  does on its own because of the counter weight a lot more with the motor driven clutch model than the slack belts, there are a lot of little adjustment to be made but only running the hammer will you find these out.

Thanks everybody. I've been scouring the interwebs for info, and some of the older posts in this forum have been very helpful. 

Beaudry, I would be extremely grateful to get whatever info you have. I've had a hard time PMing on here. 

Also, I know this topic has been covered on this forum before, but I'm going to replace the rubber cushions on the Bradley 125lb compact. Anybody have any fresh info on where to get that done?