I Forge Iron

100 lb Trenton made roadrunner anvil.

I found this 100 lb Trenton made Acme anvil for $275 at a very unexpected location. The flea market. They were asking $350, which is more than the $3/lb price I'm comfortable with but I was able to haggle them down because after paying the $2 admission I only had $275 in my wallet. 

I'm very happy with it! The ball bearing test is excellent, around 90+%. 

Notice the angle above the cutting table. Does anybody have an idea why that would be there? Also, the radius around the Hardie hole looks like it was intentionally made by a previous owner.

Awhile back I read that you can search for your first anvil for quite some time but after you get it they start turning up left and right and that has proven to be the case for me. This is #4 since I bought my first one earlier this year.IMG_20150718_133629.thumb.jpg.2ec8dc30d1IMG_20150718_133732.thumb.jpg.a4b964e990IMG_20150718_133743.thumb.jpg.8659a79849IMG_20150718_134017.thumb.jpg.219113f0ccIMG_20150718_134010.thumb.jpg.912889c57eIMG_20150718_134135.thumb.jpg.8cf3b650f1

She looks to have possibly had some repairs to the edge from those pics, but nonetheless, a fine tool! Use it in good health!

Thanks! If you are seeing the different color along one edge in the last picture I think it is more likely a streak from the cleaner/lubricant I sprayed on after wire brushing it. Or is there something else you're seeing that leads you to believe that? 

There is no reduction in rebound anywhere on the face over the mass.

That is a nice anvil. Interesting angle to the edge at the step. Somebody had something special it was just right for.

I don't see what Pete sees, doesn't mean anything, I don't see a lot. I'll be watching for what you find.

Frosty The Lucky.

That is a nice anvil. Interesting angle to the edge at the step. Somebody had something special it was just right for.

I don't see what Pete sees, doesn't mean anything, I don't see a lot. I'll be watching for what you find.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank you, Frosty. I'm building a stand for it tonight. Can't wait to feel what forging on a Trenton is like. I know it's a little louder than my other anvils but I'll bet that a few small, strategically placed magnets will help reduce the ring.

As far as that edge being possibly repaired, I don't think it has been. The tool steel plate doesn't look like its been welded back on in the area in question. That edge doesn't rebound or sound any differently than any other edge that is over the mass. Either way I'm really glad I didn't let the anvil pass by.

I saw these pics on my FB page and the smoothly radiused area around the hardy hole that looks intentionally madeFB_IMG_1437369795868.thumb.jpg.3b0d29527FB_IMG_1437369782579.thumb.jpg.ca6cd499cFB_IMG_1437369832541.thumb.jpg.8e12230e8 to me resembles this table/swage? that is being used to drift hammers. I wonder if this was my anvil's job in its previous life.