I Forge Iron

Scottish Dirk for Critique

This is a traditional Scottish Dirk with an antler handle.  The blade is made from 440c stainless and has a mirror finish.  It has Scottish Yew and nickel silver accents.  The tip got boogered up because I dropped it in a parking lot, so I'm aware of that issue already.  Thinking of carving an inset in the antler axis for a pewter clan badge.  Also it's not actually bent, as the first picture suggests.  Hope you can see in the other pictures that it's straight.

Hey all,

Posted this in the blacksmithing critique section but I think it may be better suited here.

The knife is a large Scottish dirk that I made a while back.  The handle is made from some kind of antler (either small elk or huge deer), with Scottish yew wood and nickel silver accents.  The tip got boogered up when I dropped it in a parking lot, so ideas on fixing that are welcome.  I think the first picture makes it look a bit bent, but it seems pretty straight in person.  All critique and advice is welcome!

SD4.png

SD1.png

SD2.png

SD3.png

• 7 years later...

Looks good, but MY idea of a black knife has one edge so the back of the blade can have filework on it and the crown can be polished and. Some times I will carve faces into it. Your work is top notch I hope this helps. Duck.  Oh the crown is a good place to put a clan badge.