I Forge Iron

Average amount of damascus billet tip sacrificed???

billyO

Hello all, hope the end of spring finds everyone well.

I imagine there are many variables that will effect the outcome, so here's what I did:

Starting billet: 22 layers (alternating 6" long layers of .072 15N20 and .070 1095) clamped, handle welded on and one bead ran down the end of the billet. Forge welded, drew out, cut into 4 pieces, re-tacked and repeated 2 times to end up with 352(-) layers. BTW - all surfaces were ground clean before re-welding, and after the initial billet weld, I drew the tip out too much being the first time I've used my friend's 250# Chambersburg so had to lose 3" of material before the second weld.  (Final billet size before final forge weld/drawing was approx. 5"x 1 1/2" x 2")
Anyway, I ended up with a billet, 1 1/8" x 1/2" x 18". I cut off an inch of the tip polished and etched and the result wasn't what I expected, I took pictures and was going to ask what happened when I realized what I was seeing was most likely the 3 tack welds. I cut another 1/2" off and repeated the polishing/etching and am seeing the same strange pattern. I figured I should see pretty flat layers because all the work was done on the 5" x 7" flat dies, but there's a butterfly pattern.

thanks

2015_06180002.JPG

I was planning on continuing to cut 1/4" slices off the end of the bar for another inch or so before cutting the grooves for a ladder pattern as per the original plan.
Any ideas on how much of the tip I should plan on loosing due to the tack welds of the 4 pieces?

Edited by billyO