I Forge Iron

home made 2x72

I want to thank everyone who has posted about belt sanders, I found tons of good info on here which made the process less painful. the motor is a 3/4 hp from a 1978 Packard drill press. 5.5" drive wheel, 3" tracking and the idlers are 2", 12'' platens and the front attachment tilts forward and back 45 degrees. I did all the machining myself as well as all the fabrication. All together I spent $40, the bearings where a gift from the wife. I bought the all thread, springs and paint. Everything else was scrap and parts that I've accumulated over the years. I'll post more picks when I get new belts the one on it is wore out.

KIMG0065.jpeg

KIMG0067.jpeg

KIMG0066.jpeg

Steve told me ther is an outfit that resurfaces contact wheels, I think he said it was somthing like $50 per wheel, $150 minimum (or was that 300, Steve?) might have to do a "IFI" group job (ship to one central smith your damaged wheels and then ship them all in as a group, and then he ships them back to you) even with shipping and handling (come on, the middle man deserves a bit of coin to repack and other hastles)  one should get whells for 1/2- 2/3 price