I Forge Iron

Batten the hatches!! theres a storm a brewin

RainsFire

What are you guy's doing to stay warm? Here at least in oregon we are having a "record" storm.. with winds on the coast supposedly reaching 120mph. I left a trashcan out in our backyard and it has filled to the brim with rain water.. and I just finished scraping the oakleaves from our rain gutter so the same thing doesnt happen to our padio..
I tried to smith for a little while the other night, and ran out of propane.. so I lit up my charcoal furnace.. only to notice that I was being rained on, sideways.. (I work in a lean-to..)
The river that run's through our place under our bridge that is usually a good 15ft above the water level is now 2-4feet.. I may not be leaving tomorrow ;)
so ya, I've pretty much given up on getting anything done for now..
anyone else feeling it?
I just watched a full sized oak snag drift past our house.. I'm getting a little worried now..

Here in Eugene I was just hoping my shop didn't blow away! Costco car port and all. I added some extra stakes and weight last night. So far so good. I'm glad I'm not over on the coast for those 100+ mph gusts. I did work for a little while last night out in it (not forging), and did get a few gusts that worried me a little.. Since I have to push my forge out into the open when in use, I tend to just not forge when it rains. Also, there is a nice puddle right around my anvil :( One of the draw backs of having a dirt floor is if you have low spots.. I've been slowly trying to fill them as they crop up and become an issue. I ground down a stump that was in the middle of my shop at one point, and that left a good 2-4 inches of wood chips over most of the floor, but not all :(

It's been a little breezy 150 miles inland, too. The old cottonwood tree in my driveway blew over yesterday, just missed the power pole, but no harm done. I never did like that tree, seems like it schedules its fluffy pollen releasing the same time I'm trying to paint a black railing. My semi-efficient coal forge hood is drawing smoke with gusto the last couple days...

Good Luck, sunny and warm---65 degF today here in central NM.

If worse gets to worse with the winds you can tie your self to your anvil; not so good for flooding though...

We get regular high winds through here, (they say you know it's spring in NM when your neighbor's concrete blocks start blowing into your yard) but the fellow who built my shop's main selling point was that *all* of the buildings he had built were still standing and so far it's still true.