I Forge Iron

Advise on first build

alextynan

Hi all,

I am in the process of building my first forge, it's internal dimensions are 125mm x 100mm x 300mm. Roughly 5" x 4" x 12". This comes to about 240ci. 

My first question is, can I line this with kaowool, or will it not hold the rectangular shape? I plan to line the wool with satanite and itc100.

Next question, will one 3/4 zoeler burner be sufficient, or will I need two smaller burners? I don't plan on this being a do everything forge, just a jumping off point for trying to make some tooling.

Also, it would be rude not to show you the frame tig welded up out of 1.6mm steel, so you can giggle at my welds.

Note the 3/4" burner I've started making sitting on top.

image.jpg

Might want to cut slightly oversized peices, not one cotinues bat, sides hold up the top, bottom holds in the sides, one peice will fold the corners and reduce the loft. Once you paint it with rigidizer (keeps thise nasty ceramic fibers in place as well as making it more durable you should be good as gold.