I Forge Iron

My "new" 125lb Mouse Hole Forge anvil!

IMG_20150507_215508.thumb.jpg.cee6f91fb4Hello everybody. I picked up this 125lb Mouse Hole Forge anvil yesterday and I'm really excited! It has great rebound, even a little more than my 82lb Hay Budden, which also has good rebound. I have a question that I hope somebody may be able to answer. There is an asterisk looking symbol stamped between the front feet and I'm curious to find out if anybody knows what that symbol represents. Is it standard on all Mouse Hole anvils? The last pic is of my Hay Budden. Thanks for your help!IMG_20150507_214933.thumb.jpg.d438add045IMG_20150507_215256.thumb.jpg.7b0a6d5bd3IMG_20150401_232021.thumb.jpg.17bb81c33c

Anthony, nice score on the Mousehole anvil.  Looks to be in really good shape.

If you are interested in the history of Mousehole anvils, I came across a book by Richard Postman (author of Anvils in America) titled Mousehole Forge which has a very detailed, lengthy history of the Mousehole forge in England.  It goes from the inception of the Mousehole forge and anvils to the last ones made in this century.  Great reading, and I don't have a Mousehole.  Should be required reading for every Mousehole anvil owner. ;)

hey anthony,whats writen on the anvil as logo? because it seems more recent than mine since yours has that little ledge on the bottom and the asterix also i dont have on mine,anyways nice buy! what u get it for?

Anthony, nice score on the Mousehole anvil.  Looks to be in really good shape.

If you are interested in the history of Mousehole anvils, I came across a book by Richard Postman (author of Anvils in America) titled Mousehole Forge which has a very detailed, lengthy history of the Mousehole forge in England.  It goes from the inception of the Mousehole forge and anvils to the last ones made in this century.  Great reading, and I don't have a Mousehole.  Should be required reading for every Mousehole anvil owner. ;)

Hello Arkie. Thanks! I have heard of Mr Postman's book about the history of the Mousehole Forge and I was fascinated by the story of a forge that produced anvils for centuries, even before I got this anvil. Now that I have it, I am going to look for the book! Really curious about the asterisk stamp! 

hey anthony,whats writen on the anvil as logo? because it seems more recent than mine since yours has that little ledge on the bottom and the asterix also i dont have on mine,anyways nice buy! what u get it for?

Hello Eyesenish. I can read M&H Armitage Mouse Hole Forge and the weight of 1 0 13. I paid $400 for it. A little more than the $3 a lb I wanted to pay for it but it is rare to find a decent anvil around here for less than $4 a lb. A 120lb American Ross anvil sold on Craigslist the day before yesterday for $500 after just a day and a half.