I Forge Iron

Planning a Propane forge, Have a rough plan.

markknx

Frosty

Yes it will get a stand outside but in a way that it can be removed and put in out of the weather. No the label was just as vague as the web site. They package this for their use in the mills and other hot industries. I think I just jumped the gun. It blistered but it stayed for the most part. no cracking. many things will change if I make another. Learning curve but with guys like you and others here, also David Hammer, it came out well and useable. Now I just have to figure out how to use it. I called it cement so that was on me.

Thanks for all your advice and time.

Mark

It's my pleasure Mark, I'm just passing it along. Vesuvius calls it Cement on the site so we'll blame them if anything goes wrong. It's a pretty good job for a first incarnation, better than mine for sure.

Frosty The Lucky.

Yeah but did you have you tube, IFI? You sound like you have been at it long enough that the internet was either real new or not at all. Great tool it is. but so many waste it on nothing but games. We should be the most informed and educated generation yet. But I am not seeing it! (end rant)

Thanks again and once I make some parts I will post for critique.

Mark

Uh, no my first forge and the original T burner were pre internet by a few years. Heck, I was going to use a gun burner, still have the parts in the Connex. Then one of my coffee shop buddies, name of Cruz, gave me a pretty thick stack of papers regarding induction devices. His thing is or was trying to come up with application patent ideas and we had some terrific conversations at the local coffee shop.

Anyway, I discovered the difference between a linear and ejector type induction device reading all the patent documents and sales pamphlets Cruz laid on me.

When I made my first forge I just called E. J. Bartells and then visited. We talked a while and when they found out I was going to be putting borax in a 3,000f environment they recommended the rammable refractory I used. It's no longer available unfortunately or I wouldn't use anything else. "Pyramid, Super, air set. It's designed to be concrete hard and strong @ a 4,000f working temp in an AMONNIA!!! atomsphere. 4,ooof ammonia would do things to most materials like a Star Trek hand phaser. The stuff laughs at hot borax, I used to have to rake globs of molten borax and steel from the bottom of the forge regularly.

What I looked for and sort of found was a phosphate bonded or high phosphate castable refractory, I'd prefer a plastic (rammable) but what's available is what's available without special ordering.

Having to use castable has some advantages I hope. I'll be able to incorporate zirconium flour directly into the refractory at the flame contact surface and not have to kiln wash it.

Yeah, I've been researching this stuff longer than the internet has been available and the net used to be a LOT better for research than it is now. Now it's hard to get info without having to wade through menu after menu of ads for crap I'm not interested but some IT geek thinks I should. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.