I Forge Iron

Who made this anvil

I ran across a small (about 80#)anvil yesterday. There are no markings on it at all but for a star that is about 2" tall on one side. It seems to be very old but looks as if it has never been used. Not a scratch, chip or ding anywhere. Anybody know anything about these ? No pics but might be able to get a couple this weekend.
Thanks,
Patrick

It's most probably a Romanian cast steel imitation of an Austrian style anvil, minus the cathedral windows. (It's surely cast . .judging from the shape of the horn and the line down the middle)
Romanian made anvils made during the communist period bore no markings. .if they were made for internal use. They were also more functional than aesthetic so only the face was machined. the rest of the body being left as cast. ( exactly like my German double horn - only difference being that that was cast at Topletz)

If you found it near you it's probably a "limited edition" model cast in Resita.
If so. .keep it well .. Resita was making very good steels back the in the communist period ..although they lost many of their formulas after the revolution.

hooligan971,

If it is the same as the one I had, I have only heard them refered to as "Star Anvils".

I have some information and pictures somewhere; I'll try to remember to dig them up.

Anyhow, I think I remember that they were made in New Jersey, circa Civil War. They have an iron body with a steel face... the one I had was missing most of the face.

If you've got a good one, well, it's probably a good one.

Don