I Forge Iron

Hyd press build question

territorialmillworks

I've built a hyd press with a 4 X 16 cylinder and an 11 GPM 2-stage pump but I'm stalled looking for a 5 HP motor that won't require a bank loan.  I've got a 2 hp 3750 rpm motor and was wondering what the performance would be like until I come up with a bigger motor...  Thanks for any advice.  Kerith

• 3 weeks later...

Surplus center has a 5hp Leeson motor for around 200 + shipping (last time i checked), but it is an ODP enclosure, not a TEFC.  I had the same issues trying to find a TEFC 5 hp motor, they get very expensive very fast, at least single phase anyway.  I ended up going with a 2.5 hp 1750 rpm  WEG(brand) motor I found on ebay.

I'm fairly sure that a 2hp motor running at 3750 rpm isn't gonna be strong enough for the pump.  At 1800 rpm you should be fine. Half the rpm would make it a 5.5 gpm, and a slower press, but cheaper build (per Batson's book).  A 4" cylinder is also going to move faster than a larger cylinder on the same pump, so that can be taken into consideration.  Also check the max rpm rating for the pump you have.

A fast running 2 hp motor might be nice for a belt grinder/sander if you have a need for one of those.

Hi,

Do you know what the high pressure flow is?

if it is under 2gpm on the hi pressure stage you may get away with 2hp, over 3gpm I would suggest that 3 - 3.5Hp would be closer to the mark (provided you are not getting a significant voltage drop in some light duty electrical cable).

Is the low to high pressure unloader valve pressure fixed or can it be adjusted? what pressure is the unloader valve preset to from the factory?

for pressing hot metal IMO a pump with a 1.8 gpm second stage and a 3000 PSI max pressure rating would be more suitable.

if the 2 hp motor stalls on the first stage you can back the unloader pressure setting off. I had a quick look on the web for some specs, the first one i come across was set to 650 PSI with a range of 400 to 900. then set your relief valve so it doesn't stall on the second stage.

Don't be scared to load it up, electric motors have heaps of torque provided they dont overheat, that's not likely in this situation cos it is not continuously fully loaded. two stage pumps are designed to go on gas motors that have almost no torque as the revs slump.

a 5 HP electric motor could probably comfortably drive a 16gpm/3gpm pump to max pressure