I Forge Iron

Gotland Ring Knife

j.w.s.

I still had about a quarter of the billet left I made earlier this week so I decided to finish it off. This time I decided to do a rare piece that, admittedly, I don't know all that much about the history of. What I do know is that it was from a Gotland find, not the Mastermyr, dating to sometime in the first millennium AD. If anyone has any more info about the find I'd love to hear it! Anyway, enjoy!

J

image.thumb.jpg.ea969ef2e6cc28493c7cf857image.thumb.jpg.027e1db1637ee74e85800c01image.thumb.jpg.159a1b9d52c4c4f0bb2b39ecimage.thumb.jpg.6ec2da937cab85deea2ce6c0

I like that blade profile a lot, especially for chopping veggies as such. This one is intriguing to  me, are is there speculation for the ring or is it something I just don't know about? What are it's dimensions? Do you have a link to a Gotland knife site?

Nice job all round.

Frosty The Lucky.

I like that blade profile a lot, especially for chopping veggies as such. This one is intriguing to  me, are is there speculation for the ring or is it something I just don't know about? What are it's dimensions? Do you have a link to a Gotland knife site?

Nice job all round.

Frosty The Lucky.

Overal 9.875", blade 4.125"x1.125" - I think the speculation for the added ring was that it may have been attached to a thong or cord that was connected to the belt. Perhaps a safety line so it was harder to lose. Or maybe they just like jingly noises. I seem to recall that in folklore some mischievous fairies were said to chased away by bells and the like. I can't seem to find a website that links to information, just about the only reference online I can find is through another smith, Goran Enocksson - his own website that just gives a quick reference to it and another blog that referenced him. Even the offline source I had was barely a farts worth of information "Gotland finding" and other dates around it for other iron objects pictured ranging from 300 AD to 900 AD. Unfortunately I don't have that source anymore except for notes in my sketch pad and my younger self didn't think his older self would forget the library book or museum catalogue he was doodling from that day probably 15 years ago, Silly me. :)

J

I seem to recall Fairy not liking cold iron or bells so a cold iron bell makes sense. Of course if your cold iron jingler doesn't scare off the bad things a sharp blade is a good plan B.

I have a friend who's good at searching historical things out I'll have him take a look and post any results.

Frosty The Lucky.

I seem to recall Fairy not liking cold iron or bells so a cold iron bell makes sense. Of course if your cold iron jingler doesn't scare off the bad things a sharp blade is a good plan B.

I have a friend who's good at searching historical things out I'll have him take a look and post any results.

Frosty The Lucky.

​I look forward to you friends input or anyone else's!

J